What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Park brake valve installation

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Need some help with the park brake valve and its operation. Keen to see pictures or comments of park brake control cable anchor and routing.
I am also unsure which position of the lever the line is open and which position it is closed (parking brake activated).
Thanks.
Johan

Parking brake

Vans sells a mounting bracket that fits on backside of firewall in front of pilot. Run cable to a spot in front of pilot. Caution: Protruding knobs may interfere with large 'fighter; stick grips.

See numerous RV-10 builder web sites for pix

If there is any hanging or drag on brake pedals, it may make install difficult.

Many install 3/8 x 3.5" springs on brake cylinders to ensure that brakes are fully open

Blow thru valve to know and mark open and closed positions

Are you sure you need a parking brake?

I have been flying for 40 years and never used the parking brake on my various aircraft. Just carry a set of chocks, which you should have anyway.

I have been flying for 40 years and never used the parking brake on my various aircraft. Just carry a set of chocks, which you should have anyway.

I've been driving automobiles since 1982 and have never used a parking brake on one of those things either :)

I use my parking brake at almost every fueling or stop. It is so convenient I would not build a plane without one.

Go to Airward.com. They have a complete parking brake kit with the Matco valve. It was 275 for the kit, but an easy assembly.

Found a couple of pics for you

IMG_1807.JPG.

IMG_1808.JPG

Can't remember the bracket costing that much money but along with Vans bracket buy a few sticks of aluminum angle and some sheets of aluminum
And you can make up al sorts of brackets. A local source may have structural aluminum angle available as well.

I carry a set of wheel chocks and control surface locks along at all times but
The parking brake comes in very handy quite often, it is simply a convenience item.

Got it made

Thanks for all the replies and advice and guidance. After figuring out which way is open and which closed (as Vern suggested), I made a homegrown bracket yesterday which I think will do the job.
Much appreciated.
Johan

Back