What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick magneto 6350 vs 6351

bob888

Well Known Member
Anybody know the difference between these mags? Are they interchangeable (I have IO540 C4B5 engine, Lycoming spec lists 6350 but not 6351)?

I think the 6351 has the impulse coupler while the 6350 is just a plain jane mag.

FWIW, I too have a C4B5 and my left mag is a 6393 retard breaker and my right mag is a 6350.

I have a 6350 and 6351 on my engine. Its a great combination and provides easy starting both on my cold and hot starts. I do not have a Slick Start spark booster either.

Anybody know the difference between these mags? Are they interchangeable (I have IO540 C4B5 engine, Lycoming spec lists 6350 but not 6351)?

6350 is a 'plain' mag. 6351 has an impulse coupling to retard timing and increase voltage for starting. Your ignition switch should be wired to start only on the left mag (6351). If you swap the mags you need to re-do the jumpers on the key switch to start on the right, which is now the impulse mag.

6393 is a retard mag. It delays the timing but does not increase the low voltage at low rpm. This mag may have hard starting issues unless a Slick start module is used to increase the voltage.

Never start on a non-retarded mag (use retard or impulse only).

Back