What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting wing tips

burgessbuilderMO13

Gents
Currently fitting the wing tips,and wondering where your trailing edges ended up.Presently the fiberglass trailing edge is about 3/8"below but parallel with the aileron in the neutral position.It is also 1/4"aft of the aileron TE.I'm not worried about any corrective work involved,just trying to find out what others experienced,where are your edges compared to the flight controls .

Gents
Currently fitting the wing tips,and wondering where your trailing edges ended up.Presently the fiberglass trailing edge is about 3/8"below but parallel with the aileron in the neutral position.It is also 1/4"aft of the aileron TE.I'm not worried about any corrective work involved,just trying to find out what others experienced,where are your edges compared to the flight controls .

Mine needed trimming 1/4", maybe 1/2" in length, but I was able to convince them to match the height (?) of the reflexed ailerons without any surgery.

I had to split mine. Two way taped a straight board to the bottom of the ailerons. Sanded the inside of the wingtip where I split it and stuffed in some flow/epoxy mix. Clamped everything in position and let it cure. Trimmed to length afterward and sanded to finish.

When fitting the wingtips, you can move the trailing edge up/down about half an inch before you start drilling. Fit the wingtip after you have the flaps and ailerons perfectly rigged.

Carl

Wing tips

I just did mine last week. I also had to split. The flap has to be in the reflex position which is all the way up so the bottom of the flap is up flush to the bottom of the fuselage then bring your ailiron to match the flap and the back edge of the wing tip needs to match height with that. The length can always be cut if the top is to long. My tip was up well over 3/4 inch before I split it.

Fitting Wing Tips

Just another thing to keep in mind when fitting the wing tips, although seemingly unrelated, make sure the stick is held in the elevator trail position. Because of the short connecting rod length off the sticks both sides, full forward and full back stick makes the Alerons go slight reflex. So even though the Alerons are set to the flaps in reflex and wing tips to Alerons, if the stick is not held in the position mentioned you will be disappointed to look out while flying in cruise to see the wing tips not aligned to Alerons. That is of course if level flight equates to elevators in trail ! Cheers from Western Australia.

Back