What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crossover wiring question

bob888

Well Known Member
I'm at the point of wiring the Nav/Strobe from a single set of wires coming off the VP-X to the three sets needed to go to wingtips & tail. There are two questions here. First, what is the best way to do the interconnect? I thought to just use Molex type connectors and jumper the pins from the VP-X to make the connections. Another idea is to use a terminal block. I am curious if anyone has a better idea. The second question is where to make the cross over. Could be behind the panel but lots of wires there already. Maybe cross just in front of the rear seats where the torque tube for flaps goes across? Going to be a similar problem for L/R landing and taxi lights.

I have done it several ways in he past, from he terminal block as you mention, to a butt splice with 2 wires coming out each side (1 in and 3 outs). At this point I may say a solder splice would work nicely, and doing it in e area of the wing root as you mention should work fine, even crossing over between the spar center sections.

Something I do to make soldering two or more wires together is to first (after tinning) slide some heat shrink over them to hold them together. Then solder the single wire to the others that are held together with heat shrink.

Much easier than trying to hold them together with a clip or other device.

Also apply extra heat shrink where needed so the final heat shrink diameter is not too large to seal the smaller diameter wire.

Last edited:
Back