What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best ignition harness

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
After 500+ hours, the mags are now inspected and ready to go back on, and I'm looking at the stupidly long ignition harness leads that came with my IO-360-M1B and thinking of replacing them to make for a cleaner installation. I only want to do this once, so...anybody have any suggestions for the *best* quality ignition harnesses?

When I say long, I mean loooong...I could mount the mags in the cockpit and still have the current harness reach the plugs :) I don't know why they came this way. Yes, they work and I may be breaking one of my fundamental rules (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), but it bugs the snot out of me LOL!

TIA!

On most harnesses you can removed/repair the plug ends, so if the harness is still good you could custom resize each of the leads once you learn how it comes apart and reassembles.
If you are willing to spring the $$$ for a new harness any way, you haven't got much to lose.
Might even find a mechanic that will show you how for just a small cost compared to a new harness.

Yep, I know about the pricey tool and all that.

Any other opinions on pre-made harnesses?

Last edited:
If your harness is still good but the leads too long, just get them adjusted.
Any repair station that works on magnetos should be able to do that for you. Just mark the lengths you want on each lead.
I had that done a couple years back on a project and it worked out great and wasn't very expensive either.

I'm curious what you did with your long leads when you first installed them? I have a lot of extra on the upper plug leads as well.

Back