What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3rd Annual Lobster Fly-in Belfast Maine

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
EAA-Cover.jpg

Plans are underway for the 3rd Annual Lobster fly-in hosted by Belfast’s EAA chapter 1434. We have put in an order for great weather over the east coast for great flying to and around Maine. Last year we had 75+ planes attend and 50 were RV’s. Nine states were represented and Canada. With the furthest RV traveled from Kentucky by Bobby H. The fly-in is Saturday Sept 16th and the Lobster Dinner will be Friday night the 15th. As many will tell you that went last year, it was a good time and may embellished stories were told :D

I have already been contacted by a few RVrs in other states asking for room and car information, as they are planning on turning our Fly-in into a mini vacation. Sept is a great time to visit the coast of Maine.

I will post more as we get closer to the date in late summer. We will be able to provide information on lodging and transportation in the next few months. If you have any questions do not hesitate to email me for more info.

The link below is Bob’s great trip write up from 2016 Lobster Fly In http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=141972&highlight=lobster

Last edited:
Hey that me!

The link that David listed above is my trip write up from last year.
I'm Bobby Hester and I'm from Hopkinsville, Kentucky, close to Indiana.
If you haven't read the trip write up, please do, I had a blast creating it. Even a better time actually living it out. This was such a great trip we are even planning to do it again this year, if everything falls in place just right. We're evening planning to have another RV couple following us this time. Great place to visit and great time getting there.

I will have an RVator from Russia visiting and we are timing his vacation to the Lobster fly-in. Previous year was a blast looking forward for the 3rd festival. After this one Governor we are taking you back. We miss you here :D

Nuts!

David had to go and tell everyone about Friday evening. I was hoping that everyone would show up Saturday and leave all the good Lobsters to us.
Oh well we will just have to suck it up and share the good beer and Food. If you have never gone to a Sea food whole sale house that also has a menu and tables, you should at least once in your life. It does not get any fresher than off the boat and onto your table. These kinds of places are hard to come by these days. The people that work these places are the best and happiest in the world. We have made it a point to drive up the last two years and are hoping the weather God's will be kind to us this year and let us fly in this trip. But don't tell anyone I told you about this. Yours, as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Hey Bobby, I enjoyed reading your trip report last year.

This year, I'm really excited, because I will actually be able to attend the fly-in.
I'll be in NH Sept through mid October, so Nann & I will definately be there.
We too are planning on flying up to Eastport, as my sister has a cabin in Lubec.

Looking forward to do some flying out in New England & Nova Scotia.

Dreamin'

Been dreamin' and about a fall trip to Maine and those giant crawfish. I'm told that flying weather is generally good in Maine during the fall. Pencil me in as a definite maybe.

John from Louisiana

Last edited:
When you live in Idaho, telling friends you eat bugs makes for fewer friends. We'll be claiming the distance award at 2K+ nm.

John Siebold

bug eaters

In Louisiana, when you tell people you are eating bugs, they want to come with you and eat your bugs too!

Zatarain's

A bottle of Zatarain's in the boiling water would make shoe leather taste good. Makes our mud bugs great! They're small, but the standard serving size for Louisiana man or woman is 5 lbs. (Not including corn, potatoes, sausage and other odds and ends that the cook decides to throw in with the bugs.)

John from Idaho, I'm thinking of flying around TX on the way to Maine in order to win distance bragging rights. Just have to convince my co-pilot. She's wants to go to Maine, but we did TX last year. John

Last edited:
John from Idaho, I'm thinking of flying around TX on the way to Maine in order to win distance bragging rights. Just have to convince my co-pilot. She's wants to go to Maine, but we did TX last year. John

Hope you can make it - its still early but it looks like a good turnout expecally for the dinner on Friday.

Hope you can make it - its still early but it looks like a good turnout expecally for the dinner on Friday.

David,
Any hotel recommendations for Friday?

Never mind. I reserved an airbnb for Friday night.
See you all there.

Last edited:
Hi Dave
I came up last year and had a great time and hope to come up for the day again. In fact, I was so intrigued by Belfast, I rented a house for this week and am in town with my family. If you have plans to be at the airport, let me know and I will stop by to say hello.

P.S. Belfast is a great spot

Dean Pichon
Bolton MA
RV-4

We are starting to get a good turn out. It will be interested on who gets the farthest RV flying in. :). I am taking off that week and may are planning on coming that week also, so there will be a good group around the airport that week.

After in get back from Oskhosh (Weather depending Sat - Thur camping in the HBC area) I'll get started putting out info for rooms and cars.

Hope to see some of guys at KOSH

We are starting to get a good turn out. It will be interested on who gets the farthest RV flying in. :). I am taking off that week and may are planning on coming that week also, so there will be a good group around the airport that week.

After in get back from Oskhosh (Weather depending Sat - Thur camping in the HBC area) I'll get started putting out info for rooms and cars.

Hope to see some of guys at KOSH

David, Make sure you identify yourself at the beer tasting & social.
I'll be on the same schedule, arriving Saturday, leaving Thursday.
I have the yellow/blue RV7 with the checkered tail, N20DL

Looking forward to meeting you.

I am putting this on the calendar for a repeat, most Benevolent Dictator. Hopefully my Captain can get the time off, and I have my panel back together by then. Bugs for all my friends!

Back