What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN fittings for Master cylinders

RandyAB

Well Known Member
Can somebody explain to me why 90 degree AN 4D fittings are used only in the two bottom holes of the master cylinders on the pilot side and the other 6 (two top on pilot side and all 4 on co-pilot side) are brass fittings? I'm just installing my brake lines from TS flightlines (nice product) and came across this in the plans. The problem is that I deleted the brass fittings (I believe on the advice of Paul Grimstad who makes the Control Approach pedals). Can I just use 90 degree AN 4D fittings in all of the master cylinder ports (8 total)? I'm not seeing a reason why not, but then again I'm not sure why there were different fittings in the first place. Input is appreciated.

Regards
Randy

Last edited:
I'm not seeing a reason why not, but then again I'm not sure why there were different fittings in the first place.

They were spec'ed as different fittings because a different type of high pressure line was also specified.
If you chose to modify, then you have to use parts that are compatible with the parts your are changing.
If you are changing to all flared end hoses that connect to flare style AN fittings, then you will have to use 90 deg AN fittings (I would think that TS Flightlines would have supplied you with what you needed)

The brass fittings from Vans is for use with the nylon/plastic hose they provide in their kit. Cant be used with the stainless braid teflon hose that we use with AN flare hose ends. Thats why we provide them in our packages.

Vans DOES provide 2 90*s for use with their pressure assemblies. In Randy's case and others using the Control Approach pedals, the hoses are too long and wouldn't be used without shortening.

Tom

The brass fittings from Vans is for use with the nylon/plastic hose they provide in their kit. Cant be used with the stainless braid teflon hose that we use with AN flare hose ends. Thats why we provide them in our packages.

Vans DOES provide 2 90*s for use with their pressure assemblies. In Randy's case and others using the Control Approach pedals, the hoses are too long and wouldn't be used without shortening.

Tom

Thanks Tom. The product that you supplied was top notch!

Back