What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Baltimore Airport Gouge Requested

Aggie78

Well Known Member
Howdy Folks,

We have a wedding we?re flying up to in early May and looking for a place to bed down the RV that?s GA friendly and priced reasonably.

Wedding location is the west side of Baltimore (Ellicot) so trying to stay on that side of the city for traffic, etc.

Accommodations are set, but will need a rental car.

Right now looking at Frederick (FDK) or Carroll County (DMW).

Good reviews at DMW on ForeFlight, some not so great ones about FDK so leaning towards DMW unless someone has some updated gouge?

Thanks!

Rob

Either one would be a good choice logistically speaking. Typical hotels available near both and Frederick has rental cars either on airport or Budget/Avis about 200 yds walk off airport. However we have Signature as an FBO at Frederick, and you might verify parking fee. It could be high. We also have AOPA and if you are a member you might call to see if you can park on their ramp for free. You might want to tour AOPA while there.

Good food in and around the city of Frederick, as well as a very scenic city.

Full disclosure, I live in Frederick. :)

Closer by half is Tipton (KFME), I know Enterprise has delivered cars there, multiple equal length routes to Ellicott City so traffic can be avoided.

Full disclosure as well, I keep a plane there.

Rob-

Outside of rush hour, traffic flows pretty good around Baltimore. As Mike C pointed out, Tipton (KFME) is the closest to Ellicott City (17 miles). However, you do need to deal with the SFRA. Not really a big deal - the controllers make it easy.

MTN is also a good option. Although on the other side of town, it's a quick trip through the tunnel to the west side. Not a bad drive outside of rush hours.

My recommendation would be my homebase, KDMW. If you know how to drive a manual, you're welcome to borrow my extra car - BMW 330ci.

Guys,

Thanks for the gouge, much appreciated!

I am leaning towards DMW as it just sounds like a little less headache dealing with the FBO/airspace down by FDK.

I do plan on taking the SFRA course and will probably file IFR just to minimize hassles on that end as well.

Mike B., I really appreciate the car offer, but I'm going to offer you the opportunity to rethink that as wifey and I were planning on doing some sightseeing in the area as well (never been to Gettysburg) and I'm sure you don't want a bunch of miles put on your Bimmer or have it tied up over the weekend...

We are excited to make the trip...have not been up in those parts with the RV and are hoping it all goes smooothly...

Thanks again, all!

Rob

Mike B., I really appreciate the car offer, but I'm going to offer you the opportunity to rethink that as wifey and I were planning on doing some sightseeing in the area as well (never been to Gettysburg) and I'm sure you don't want a bunch of miles put on your Bimmer or have it tied up over the weekend...

We are excited to make the trip...have not been up in those parts with the RV

Rob,

After a long and thorough rethink, I think my 330ci will be OK with you and the wifey cruising the battlegrounds of Gettysburg. It will give me ample time to get reacquainted with my 550i Garage Queen :D. The 550 is not on the table! :p. KDMW is the perfect airport with close proximity to Gettysburg. A quick drive up 97 (runs adjacent to the airport) get you there.

email me at mike at rvplane dot com to discuss further!

Back