What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad and foreflight question?

jongurley

I currently have a Wifi Ipad that I want to use in me and my partners RV we are building,, we are about to install the Skyview system and we were planning on adding a ipad also to run foreflight on it,, i have the wifi version,, so I need some sort of a GPS/adsB receiver unit,, I am not familiar with these units so what would be a good one to buy, and I take it this unit will receive weather and gps through wifi to my ipad for foreflight i take it???? thanks for any education or thoughts in advance.

Last edited:
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/16597

What Vince Craig said, this unit works like a charm without any cables floating around.
An app lets you check all the parameters of the GPS including battery level and just about anything else you want to know about the status of you GPS transmitter.
Like you, I did not buy the ipad with the cell phone data capability.

So basically if I go with the stratus unit for 700, vs. the one craig posted all I am getting different is Traffic????

If you are using foreflight, there are three main choices you have to make if using it with an iPad without GPS/3G

• Dedicated external GPS receiver. This will provide your iPad/ForeFlight with GPS position data. There are a number of different varieties to include the unit Craig posted, the Garmin GLO and the products from Bad Elf. Approximately $100.
  • The Stratus ADS-B receiver. I have one of these in my RV-7 currently. It works great for receiver ADS-B weather, however, I am less than impressed with the GPS receiver. $699
  • Stratus 2 ADS-B receiver. The recently released Stratus 2 is smaller than the original Stratus and fixes a number of the originals shortcoming. It claims to have a better GPS receiver in it, and it has the ability to attach an external GPS antenna. That way, you can tuck the unit out of sight. It also can receive ADS-B traffic on both 978 and 1090 Mhz. However, for the traffic to be fully functional, you will need to have a transponder capable of sending ADS-B position report. $899.

As mentioned above, I have the original Stratus, but I am seriously considering upgrading since I am in the process of mounting a new iPad mini without a built in GPS antenna.

i like the bad elf pro for a couple of reasons. I don't need weather so that is not a concern. reasons for for the bad elf, 1. cost a hundred bucks or so. 2. because of its data logging function i can use it not only with the ipad for foreflight but can use it by itself to map rides on my bike, hikes, jet ski trips, and for the sneeky people, map where the kids and or wife have been.

bob burns

GDL39 also

Garmin GDL39 also acts as a standard iOS compatible Bluetooth GPS receiver, also lets you see stations etc with an app. Works very well with Foreflight on iPad and iPhone.

I'm flying with the Skyview system with ADS-B and an iPad with Foreflight and a Stratus. I haven't tested it yet with the traffic option, but it is really nice having the Stratus weather on the iPad. It is much easier too view weather along your route of flight with the iPad, and the display of the weather is much nicer. I like having the weather on the Skyview, but I really like the traffic. If I were to pick, I'd have traffic on the Skyview and weather on the iPad.

As was mentioned, the GPS in the Stratus isn't fantastic, but for Foreflight, I would say it is more than enough.

So you have the traffic jesse on skyview or Ipad??? forgive me I am alittle confused I am new to this stuff, my partner is more up to date than I am.

Back