What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where can I shop for servos?

Moondog

Well Known Member
Are servos sold separately? I am ready to buy, but would like to check out details such as cost, and installation requirements. Cannot find much on Tru Trak or Garmin websites or even Stein?s.

I know Trio sells their servos separately and can be used by SOME different auto-pilots. I believe Dynon's servos are exclusive. I suggest calling your AP manufacturer to be certain of compatibility.

Cheers,

Thanks, Deal.

Servos are not shown as a separate product at either TT or Garmin so I looked at Stein and nothing came up there either. I want to buy in stages, servos first. Still in the shopping stage, but will likely end up one of these manufacturers.

If anyone can direct me to a specific site or sites, I would appreciate your help.

You can order them separate. As a rule, these days manufacturers servos are not interchangeable. The Trio ones are somewhat but only with a couple other folks and this is not common these days.

Call Stein and he will fix you up!

Last edited:
I would wait on ordering the servo's until you are firm on your avionics choice and have placed the order for them. I ordered my Dynon servos during the build as needed. Then when it came time to order the avionics, I went from the Dynon Skyview I originally planned on to the Garmin G3X with the TT GXPilot. Sold the Dynon servos at a loss and got the TT servo's. Now I am thinking that in the not to distant future, I may want the Garmin AP & their servo's! Avionic's are morphing at a rapid pace. FWIW, the TT servo brackets had the same mounting locations using the same mounting holes as the Dynon's on the -10, which were nothing more than replacing the kit bolts with longer ones for the servo mounting brackets.

If anyone can direct me to a specific site or sites, I would appreciate your help.

Believe it or not, there are real live people at most* of these companies who will actually answer the phone and talk to you! ;)

Don't rely just on web sites - most of our small firms in this business are great at what they do, but web site maintenance falls off the priority list.

*(I say "most" because we're still trying to decide if Stein is human or an android....)

I have one for you!

David,

I bought my servos separately, one at at time, too. It's not a problem at all. If you watch the classifieds here you'll occasionally find one or a pair for sale. I bought mine that way. But you can buy them from a dealer as well, as others have said.

If it will help you and you decide to go this way, I have a Tru Trak servo for sale right now. It's the model # DSB-B basic servo, good for basic pitch or the roll axis. It's brand new, hasn't even been powered up. I'll let it go for about half the price of a brand new one. I contacted Tru Trak, and this servo is the one you'll use for their newest Vizion autopilot. (which is AWESOME!).

Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you pictures and more information. :)

Just the brackets

I would suggest you install the mounting brackets for the servo's and wait to by them when you are ready to install the avionics. Of course you will need to run the wiring also but as mentioned most of the servo's have the same mounting hole pattern and require the same wiring (or very close). You can order the mounting kits from Dynon for $75 each.

Stein

Called Stein who was very helpful . . . I placed my order for Garmin servos.
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Back