What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 quick build Fuselage instructions - where to start?

Flight Chops

I'm New Here
We're into the quick-build fuse now!

Upon getting into it today, we assumed they had sent us the wrong / standard instructions, but I called this morning and confirmed there are in fact no "quick-build instructions" - we're meant to audit the quick-build fuse (makes sense) to be sure that all steps have been completed as directed, and then figure out where we need to pick it up.
I don't disagree with the idea of auditing the quick-build to be sure we understand everything...

But i am surprised there was not even a hint as to where to expect that we'd need to find ourselves picking up the build - anyone have comments on this?
We spent the day deburring the loose parts so we haven't really got into the "audit" of the quick-build yet - but maybe it will become clear when we do so.

I'll report back.
Thanks,
Steve

Not as familiar with the fuse, but i think the best way to approach this (I did this with my QB wings) is to start with the first section in the plans, review page by page, and confirm structure is complete. You'll find some things you need to do that are unique to the -14 vs the -14a on the completed fuselage, and you may find mistakes made by the QB builders. The mistakes are usually easy fixes (in my cases things like a missing nutplate, countersinking where dimpled skins fit, etc). Go section by section: at some point you'll arrive at the place where the work done by the QB builders ends and yours begins (for QB wings it's stuff like fuel senders in the fuel tanks, wing systems, aileron actuation, bottom skins). Also BE SURE to check torque on every bolt installed by the QB builders: I found a number over-torqued and I replaced those bolts and re-torqued them.

I suggest you also consider installing some of the systems that come "after" the big join in the section order (brake and fuel lines, etc) before joining the fuse/tail. It's easier IMHO to do these before the two come together. I did much of what's in up to about section 37 (to the point of each that was possible) before joining the two together (section 30).

Last edited:
Same with my 10. You need to go through the plans step by step to see what was done and what needs to be completed. Some chapters may have all the steps completed some may be partial and some not started at all. Its part of the process that everyone goes through with a quick-build. Tedious and time consuming, just like inventorying the parts, but it allows you to understand what has been done and you provide a quality check on the work done. The part inventory will also give you some big hints on what has been completed. Other 14 builders logs will give you some more hints, but there is no substitute for going through the plans step by step.

As others above have mentioned, following each section as if you were building each section is a very good practice to make sure nothing was missed or done incorrectly + familiar yourself with the whole plane as you will need to know it and maintain it. If I recall correctly, one of the first big task is to join the fuse to the tail cone. It sure got to be an exciting time for you.

Really appreciate the feedback!

The "audit" went smoothly, and we confirmed as posted here that the place to "pick it up" is section 30.
I actually went through the process this morning before logging in, so it was nice to have what we deduced turn out to be confirmed here.

Just got my QB fuselage too. Been through the build instructions from the beginning, this helps get you into the mode of how the thing is put together. Then you find the first thing to do is on page 26:10. It requires you to effectively cut out rectangle for main gear leg.
If you invest in the plans memory stick from Vans there is a chapter on QB Fuselage and also Wings.

Just got my QB fuselage too. Been through the build instructions from the beginning, this helps get you into the mode of how the thing is put together. Then you find the first thing to do is on page 26:10. It requires you to effectively cut out rectangle for main gear leg.
If you invest in the plans memory stick from Vans there is a chapter on QB Fuselage and also Wings.

The rectangular cut-out is for tri gear only (RV-14A) - the gear legs on the taildragger (RV-14) are forward of the firewall. I think FlightChops is building a taildragger.

The rectangular cut-out is for tri gear only (RV-14A) - the gear legs on the taildragger (RV-14) are forward of the firewall. I think FlightChops is building a taildragger.

Ah ok then he needs to do Step 17 and 20, according to my information. Either way it?s a good idea to go through the whole build plan so that you know where you are. It doesn?t take very long.

14A QB

I agree with the above posts. When I went through mine, I was surprised on some of the items that were not completed. Some nut plates and such. Then you would come across a section that has not been completed, but the next section was. Always a good idea to run thru the plans page by page
Have fun

I might be repeating...

I felt the same, what do I need to do, what did they do, where is the line?
The folks here at VAF and Van's web site was the best help.
I just did what I saw or thought was the next step.

But,, In the end you (what we did) need to print off the complete set of plans and check and sign off each page. It does not matter who did it. You will find a couple things early in the build that they left for you.

By doing that you gain a comfort level and you can confirm it meets your standards.

I am pleased with the results!!
https://dan-larry-rv14.blogspot.com/
Larry

Back