What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short run of PVC tubing inside ribs?

daddyman

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I was thinking of running my additional pitot tubes from out near the right wing inspection port.
Because of the location of the fuel tanks, I need to run the pitot tubes (2) aft of the spar.
There are some lightening holes within the ribs that come all the way into the cabin near the pushrod.

Choice A): simply run the pitot tubes near the push rods.

Choice B): extend 1/2" inside diameter PCV through the lightening holes to run the pitot tubes and possible wires later) without fear that simply touching the rib inside edge will cut them. The rib insides are razor sharp.

The added weight would be approximately 6 oz, and make for a heavier right wing by the 6-8 oz.
If that could be an issue I could add the exact weight to the left wing.

Question: Is there a better way?

Am I nuts for this idea?

Daddyman

You'll never notice the 6-8 oz.

You'll have more difference than that because of your pitot tube on one side. Or if you carry one gallon of fuel extra on one side.

Don't worry about this. You'll be fine.

Hans

I used a composite carbon fiber tube I sourced from TAP plastics in Portland Or.
Thinner wall, lighter, stronger, and matte black, not that it matters, but I couldn?t get over looking at plumbing pipe in my wing. Just me....

Used some 5/8 black PVC tubing used for underground sprinklers, great stuff, thin wall & cheap, $8 for 50'.
Use tie wraps to secure it to the sides of the lightning holes to keep clear of control links.

1/2" polyethylene tubing from the plumbing supply section at your local hardware store works great.

Back