What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James cowl hits Superior oil dipstick

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I am fitting the Sam James cowl on the RV4 with Superior XP 0360. The oil dipstick tube is too long and contacts the cowl . Has anyone else experienced this and what was your solution? I have a request for help into Superior, but if they dont have a shorter tube, I need a plan B.

Short dipstick

Hi Larry,

I had this same problem on my Lycoming O-360. I had to order a shorter tube and then had to cut off the end of the dipstick. I wish I had the part number, but I do remember I was able to find it without too much of a problem.

When I filled the engine up with oil the first time, I marked the quantity on the stick at two quart intervals, and used a Dremel tool to make the new hash marks and "engraved" numbers.

Hope this helps

- Rick
RV-4 N999XS

Try looking up part SL75767. There are some other blurbs here on VAF about this piece . . . it may need modifications for the dipstick more than just cutting a piece off. Hope this will be a good starting point.

Rocker cover clearance ?

Thanks Rick,will shorten and build on. It sounds like we have the same hardware. Also, the cowl only clears the rocker covers by a finger thickness as you run your hand across the top of the covers. How does this work out ?

I'll check

Hi Larry,

I just have the normal Van's cowl but I think I only have about one to two finger of clearance as well. I'll check it the next time I'm at the hangar (which will be a week or two).

Back