What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N975G

rongawer

Well Known Member
I am happy to say that my RV-12?s first flight was a successful one.

Having my wife on the ramp watching (and quite nervous about the whole thing), I simply made one trip around the patch to prove the controls work and the airframe worked well. I?m happy to say it performed very well, light on the controls and flew straight and level just touching the stick - and a pleasure all in.

My oil temp did get above 210 in flight settling at 214. This is frustrating as the oil cooler is stuck to the front cowl with a full opening. I can only imagine that it?s somehow undersized. I?ve contacted Bill at Airflow and gave him my data and he is going work out a different cooler for me (side note: talk about customer service! I emailed him on a Sunday and he emailed me right back with advice and request for data.).

Note that I never got my revs above 2400 - the airplane accelerated and lifted off a lot faster than I thought it would and I didn't even get the throttle all the way in yet. That, and knowing that oil temps could run high, I just left it at partial throttle. I chuckled to myself in that going from my Baron to this is like going from a deep draft vessel to a jet ski - super responsive. I pulled it back to 2100 at right crosswind and left it there until pulling back for landing. I landed a little fast, but I had 12G18 30? off from the right and wanted to carry a little extra. I?m pretty happy with my first landing in an RV-12. I did not experience any roll or pitch issues with flap extension that I?ve read other folks experience, so that?s good too.

I already have a short list of tweaks going, but it was a good first run. Enjoy.

Startup and taxi:
https://youtu.be/dETfp5DYKt0

18 Minute flight video:
https://youtu.be/NjS8LDEWnPk

Outstanding Ron!!!! Many Congrats!!!!! Cool video.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
Congratulations...

Just one comment - it looks like your control sticks are very tall. I compare to my plane where top of stick is about even with cabin side longerons. I'm wondering if that's a comfortable height?
-
k1uf5i.jpg

Congratulations Ron!!! Job well done! Please post some engine/flight data points when you have enough time on your RV-12 to make assessments.

Congratulations...

Just one comment - it looks like your control sticks are very tall. I compare to my plane where top of stick is about even with cabin side longerons. I'm wondering if that's a comfortable height?

I like them, but if you want Tosten grips and also want them lower, you could just cut the stick down and redo the mount point.

For me, I have the stick where with my arm resting on my knee, my pointing finger and thumb rest nicely on the lower grip of the stick.

Great job

Looks like a good fit with that engine and everything.
I wish I had the money and put the bigger engine in.
I have the 260is and get about 87-90 kts cruise but at least I'm flying and only burning about 4.3 gallons an hour.

Now the fun starts and you get to show it off and say I BUILT IT !!!!

Terry

Looks like a good fit with that engine and everything.
I wish I had the money and put the bigger engine in.
I have the 260is and get about 87-90 kts cruise but at least I'm flying and only burning about 4.3 gallons an hour.

Now the fun starts and you get to show it off and say I BUILT IT !!!!

Terry

It is exciting indeed, thanks Terry.

I?ll keep the group posted once I get a better data set.

87-90 knot cruise sounds like there is something wrong perhaps with prop pitch so you are not using available power. I spent a lot of time at 90 knots and 1900' for Oshkosh and surrounding lakes. You are way down on power output required for that speed. The Rotax is only at about 4725 rpm which is about 60 HP by curve. I economy cruise at 115 knots at 5350 usually at 3-4000' and am pitched so I can exceed 120 with rpms up.

First Flight RV-12

Congratulations Ron,

Are you running a Rotax 912ULS and reporting 2,400 engine RPM on takeoff? You should be getting at least 5,200 plus RPM on takeoff. The Rotax doesn't like low RPM in flight. It's rated at 5,800 RPM at sea level for five minutes, then 5,500 RPM before you get into the yellow band.

And, Rotax oil temps 210/214 is normal and a good range. I'm at 7,600' in Colorado and have to cover part of my oil cooler with various size partial covers available from Van's all year to maintain temperatures in the low 200's.

I had to re-pitch my prop slightly to get 5,000 RPM on takeoff here, but I still get 5,500 RPM in cruise and apx. 121 KTS true.

Best regards,

Vantastic 12
RV-12 80 hours in Phase 2

I am happy to say that my RV-12?s first flight was a successful one.

Having my wife on the ramp watching (and quite nervous about the whole thing), I simply made one trip around the patch to prove the controls work and the airframe worked well. I?m happy to say it performed very well, light on the controls and flew straight and level just touching the stick - and a pleasure all in.

My oil temp did get above 210 in flight settling at 214. This is frustrating as the oil cooler is stuck to the front cowl with a full opening. I can only imagine that it?s somehow undersized. I?ve contacted Bill at Airflow and gave him my data and he is going work out a different cooler for me (side note: talk about customer service! I emailed him on a Sunday and he emailed me right back with advice and request for data.).

Note that I never got my revs above 2400 - the airplane accelerated and lifted off a lot faster than I thought it would and I didn't even get the throttle all the way in yet. That, and knowing that oil temps could run high, I just left it at partial throttle. I chuckled to myself in that going from my Baron to this is like going from a deep draft vessel to a jet ski - super responsive. I pulled it back to 2100 at right crosswind and left it there until pulling back for landing. I landed a little fast, but I had 12G18 30? off from the right and wanted to carry a little extra. I?m pretty happy with my first landing in an RV-12. I did not experience any roll or pitch issues with flap extension that I?ve read other folks experience, so that?s good too.

I already have a short list of tweaks going, but it was a good first run. Enjoy.

Startup and taxi:
https://youtu.be/dETfp5DYKt0

18 Minute flight video:
https://youtu.be/NjS8LDEWnPk

Congratulations Ron,

Are you running a Rotax 912ULS and reporting 2,400 engine RPM on takeoff? You should be getting at least 5,200 plus RPM on takeoff. The Rotax doesn't like low RPM in flight. It's rated at 5,800 RPM at sea level for five minutes, then 5,500 RPM before you get into the yellow band.

And, Rotax oil temps 210/214 is normal and a good range. I'm at 7,600' in Colorado and have to cover part of my oil cooler with various size partial covers available from Van's all year to maintain temperatures in the low 200's.

I had to re-pitch my prop slightly to get 5,000 RPM on takeoff here, but I still get 5,500 RPM in cruise and apx. 121 KTS true.

Best regards,

Vantastic 12
RV-12 80 hours in Phase 2

Thanks for all the congrats guys.

Vantastic, my engine is a UL350iS from UL Power. I haven't posted a cruise speed yet, but it did climb out at 85KIAS ~1300-1500 fpm with no issue at ~2450rpm. Once I confirm full throttle straight and level RPM, targeting 2800, I may repitch the prop then.

I flew some today and am truly happy with this airplane - what a fun little bird. I plan to do a bunch of flying tomorrow and will post more once I have better data, but I will say it gets right out there and scoots along very well.

Back