What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming O-320-E3D

Mike Ice

Well Known Member
Hello, I am new to posting so please excuse any screw ups.
I have the opportunity to purchase a Lycoming O-320-E3D. I have not seen any comments about this particular engine in the posts. I would appreciate any comments concerning this engine. I will be installing it in a RV-9.
Thank you,
Mike Ice
Anchorage, Alaska
fuselage almost complete

I've been flying my -6 for over 13 1/2 years with a -E3D. It's a great engine. I have modified mine by adding high compression pistons and roller rocker arms. The engine is 150 hp with 7:1 compression. It can be upgraded to 160 hp by changing pistons. It will NOT accept a hydraulic constant speed prop. Mine came from a Beechcraft Sport 19, but many came from Cherokee 140s.
Mine had 2500 hrs TT (first run). I added 300 more hrs before overhauling and everything still met servicable tolerances.
972-784-7544

Biggest difference between E2D and E3D is...all E3Ds have fuel pumps. Some E2Ds don't.

lycoming O-320-E3D

Mel,

Thanks for the info. This engine came off of a Warrior, it had 1200 hours on it and suffered a prop strike. The gent then took it off and had it rebuilt, unfortunately while waiting for the engine to be completed a moose decided to wing walk on his acft. I look forward to many hours of good useage from this engine.

If your ever in Alaska contact me.

Mike Ice

Hey,
Too late. Ann & I just returned from a cruise in Alaska. Probably never get up there again. I live in Texas for a reason. Can't stand the cold for very long. My old C-170B is in Fairbanks (N8122A).
That -E3D should do you well, as long as the prop strike was properly taken care of.
Mel

I am now flying Mike Ice's RV9 in south africa, the engine now has 300 hours on, and is running like a swiss clock!!
Will upgrade the pistons......one day.

Back