What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help identify this connection type

NTex

Well Known Member
Does anyone that works with electronics know where to locally get this part?

20140718_134754.jpg

20140718_134848.jpg

It's the pigtail lead to the 460 configuration module. Guess I had too much coffee and I used my strippers to cut the white wire vs. just stripping. I need a replacement, but I'm not sure what it's called. It looks kinda like a CPU fan or a SCSI connector, but it's not.

Garmin part number 325-00122-00. I'd love to pick one up at frys or an electronics store than have to order from garmin

Thanks in advance

There are literally hundreds of thousands of different types/designs and brands of these type connectors. Finding the exact match can be easy and can be hard depending on how lucky you are.

If you buy one, it most likely won't have the wires attached.

I would just solder on a new extension piece and put some heat shrink on it.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of different types/designs and brands of these type connectors. Finding the exact match can be easy and can be hard depending on how lucky you are.

If you buy one, it most likely won't have the wires attached.

I would just solder on a new extension piece and put some heat shrink on it.

Ah, good idea thanks!

Connection type

This looks remarkably like the power connection from a 3 1/2" floppy disk drive (remember those ....).

Try SteinAir’s website. It’s called a Moles plug. They’ve got different number of pin connections (2,3,4,6, 8, 12) available. They also sell then male and female pins. Check they’re website for several videos on how to wire things up using the various types of connections available.

Last edited:
sort of looks like a JST mini micro SH series. You might be able to find a mark on the housing.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251979895512-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Mike,Brian... I think you're right. Those look pretty close. Gary, I would check that out.

Try SteinAir?s website. It?s called a Moles plug. They?ve got different number of pin connections (2,3,4,6, 8, 12) available. They also sell then male and female pins. Check they?re website for several videos on how to wire things up using the various types of connections available.
Tankerpilot75 - yes good call! Stein's a great resource for both materials knowledge. In this case, this is a pretty specialized connector. Those you linked to are Molex connectors, typically used for small current or sometimes signal wires. You'll see they (molex) are much larger than the ones in my photo.

Were you able to source this connector? If so can you tell me where, thank you.

Gary,

Blast from the past! This thread is about 6 years old... I think I ended up getting the part from Garmin. I looked into the manual and now it recommends doubling the wire connection since it's so thin.

Take your calipers and measure the pitch. We can?t tell that from a picture. There are many different connectors. Normally you can read the mfg name embossed on the connector if you look really closely. JST and Molex connectors normally show it somewhere on the connector. It may be very small. Those 2 pieces of information should get you going in the right direction. If the name isn?t on the connector body then you will just need to go by the pitch. You can also measure the size of the mating pin. That will help you get the right one too.

Back