What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Update

mwardle7

Well Known Member
Greetings! I thought I would post a few pictures from a recent panel upgrade for those of you who may be looking for ideas on how to expand the features available on your RV-12 panel.

I have the G3X Touch with autopilot, but I do not have a separate control box for the autopilot. I like the utility of the Blue "LVL" button that is available on the separate control box for engaging the autopilot in straight and level mode, so I added a switch that is wired to a discrete input on the G3X for AFCS Level mode. The switch is the blue version of the red autopilot disconnect switch that Vans uses; here is a link to the part number on Mouser: OTTO LP9-11112J26. I had custom labels made a local trophy shop.
346xjzb.jpg

I like having a flashlight in a place where I can grab it quickly. I put some Maglite mounts under my G3X screen.
1inckk.jpg

I designed a logo and N number placard that I had printed a local trophy shop. I am very pleased at how it turned out. It looks "factory."
2qxup9g.jpg

The grand finale was a mount for my iPhone and my iPad Mini 4 (both running Garmin Pilot), and a stereo system. I wanted a mount for my iPhone than I didn't have to change every time I got a new phone, so I went with a Ram X-Grip. Most of the X-Grip mounts have a ball mount and stick out WAY to far; I found this one that is the closest to a flush mount that I could get: RAM-HOL-UN10U. The iPad Mount is the Airgizmos mount. The stereo system is a MB Quart GMR 2.5 Marine Stereo. I wired the Aux Music input into the Stereo and then wired the line outputs of the Stereo into the Fuselage harness pins for the Aux Music input. I wired a USB plug to power the iPad behind the panel, and ran a USB plug from my iPhone into the stereo for charging and music.
1z49xd1.jpg

All in all I'm happy with the setup although I'm still troubleshooting poor audio quality from the stereo from what I think is a ground loop. Eventually, when I have the budget for it, I'd like to replace the iPhone mount with a Garmin area 660.

Turns out that I solved the audio quality issue by bypassing the AV-5000 and connecting the line output from the stereo directly to the music input on the GTR 200.

Back