What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New ADS-B weather selections coming in June

rvator51

Well Known Member
In June, the FAA will begin broadcasting lightning strikes, turbulence, icing forecasts, cloud tops, airmets and Center weather advisories over the FIS-B link.
Hopefully, Dynon Garmin and GRT will support the new weather before Oshkosh comes around.

Got an in-flight weather update yesterday during a flight on the DelMarVa peninsula. Accurately showed an active rain cell over SBY. This was on my MX-20 display from a NavWorx ADS600B.

I am interested to see if there is an announcement regarding these new selections.

Real soon

Here is what the FAA rep emailed me today:

It will be available in parts of the US by end of this month, and next month for most of the continental US. You need to check with your avionics company on whether your display will accommodate these new products. Thanks.

This just in....

FAA Adding New Weather Products to FIS-B
Pilots that are ADS-B In equipped will soon have access to new weather data in their cockpits over the 978-megahertz (MHz) Universal Access Transceiver link. This month, the FAA will begin broadcasting six new weather products: lightning strikes, turbulence, icing forecasts, cloud tops, graphical Airmen?s Meteorological Information (AIRMET) and Center Weather Advisories. The new weather information will complement the original 13 ?baseline? weather products ? including Next Generation Weather Radar (NEXRAD) mosaics, winds aloft and terminal forecasts ? in the Flight Information Services-Broadcast (FIS-B) feed. Pilots will have access to the new FIS-B products when their individual avionics are updated. The capability and availability will vary based on individual ADS-B avionics, so please refer to your avionics manufacturer for details. For more information on ADS-B services and benefits, go to www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/capabilities

Foreflight?

So when will Stratus/Foreflight incorporate this? I'm wondering if it will be just a software version upgrade to Foreflight, or new firmware for the Stratus...or both.

I suspect that we will see lots of vendors at Oshkosh showing off the new weather products on their equipment but suspect it may take several months for some vendors to send out updates to support the new products. If Dynon and Foreflight send updates before Oshkosh, i will be a happy camper but not holding my breath.

Back