VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Way to go!

I think that is awesome! There is nothing better than introducing young kids to the excitement of aviation. I can see their excitement in the pictures. Lots of grinning from ear to ear.
On April 24th, we are hosting some boy scouts out at Pete Howell and Bernie Weiss's hanger at KANE. We are going to introduce the young lads to experimental aircraft. Pete was a boy scout himself so it was pretty easy to convince him to help out.
Another good way to help out (requires free time) is to sign up to do the aviation merit badge. Tom Berge, another member or the MN Wing and myself are going to do the merit badge for the boy scouts this year. It should be a lot of fun and a real learning experience. Tom is what I consider to be an expert in the field of RV aircraft assembly and flying so I am hoping to learn as much as the boy scouts.
It's a real up-lifting experience to show kids how exciting life can be. Sure, flying on a video game is fun BUT NOTHING BEATS FLYING FOR REAL and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BEATS FLYING A PLANE THAT THEY COULD BUILD THEMSELVES! My hats off to you for taking the time to leave a lasting impression on kids that are involved in a really good program (Boy Scouts of America).
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD…but I'll be back
Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM

I am my son's cub scout den leader and can report they love machines. I took my den of 8 boys to the the FedEx MD11 sim in memphis, couldn't tell who liked it more the dads or kids! They all landed without crashing,,,with some help from me.

My son can now imitate a GLOC in the back of the F1 Rocket on the back side of over the tops. The first time they spring that one on you it is an eye opener.

Kids dig flying! Show it off.

Last edited by hrhodes2@comcast.net : 03-17-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Smile

Great effort Axel! As a former Eagle Scout, those were wonderful days & experiences...no one encouraged me to fly or build and airplane, tho. You have planted seeds, a good thing..Reno Red...BTW, Tad is coming along nicely w/ the fastback.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Default Scouts

Good going Axel!!

This is one thing that experimental builders can do to improve awareness and support for experimental aviation. I think it has as much impact as a Young Eagle flight.

The media is sometimes all too eager to give the public the impression that all experimental planes do is fall out of the sky and kill people. You countered that in spades by giving those kids the real scoop.

The guy in the next hangar row to me did the same thing last summer. I don't know how he had the presence of mind to do it but he did. His plane was completed and flying and when the troop ran out of oohs and aahs, he brought them impromptu over to my hangar to see a build in progress. They got a two fer.

Every RVer that has the access should be making the same effort.
Dave A.
6A build
Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the kind words guys. My wife and I enjoyed the experience just as much as they did. Today I spoke to one of the girl scouts leaders for another show and tell. We will be scheduling the visit soon.

I always wanted to be a boy scout however, never had the chance.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Sorry I missed this when it was first posted. As others have said you can certainly see the kids excitement. I still remember meeting with a Northwest pilot and touring the flight service station for my aviation merit badge as a boy scout and have since given the merit badge as a scout leader.

Thank you for sharing your shop and experience.