Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Bit O' Valium

Hi Louise,

I had her leash around the center flap housing and seat back bar in case it was needed, but it was not. The rescue people had given her a bit of valium (with the vet's blessing) to take the edge off, too.

She looked up on takeoff and sat up on landing, other than that she slept on my leg.

Good luck with you doggie delivery!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1900+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Dog Loading Techniques??? (take two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Hose View Post
As I wouldn't contemplate throwing a dog over 50# in the back, with or without passengers , and I don't want a dog getting excited and moving around in the front with me, I'm wondering how I might bring the contemplated Siberian along on my commute. Anyone have a proven technique?
Louise,
I've asked a similar question on this very thread... with absolutely zero replies (2nd page, 3rd post). So maybe you and I can figure it out again, then post our results for the rest.

I was wondering about your comment concerning "a dog over 50# in the back..." Is this a CG worry? My thinking was that the baggage area is rated for 100#, and doesn't this loading get fully tested in Phase I? (I haven't gotten to the weight / CG testing part of Phase I yet)
Old 10-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
... As I wouldn't contemplate throwing a dog over 50# in the back, with or without passengers , and I don't want a dog getting excited and moving around in the front with me, I'm wondering how I might bring the contemplated Siberian along on my commute. The ear protection (I used cotton) is obvious. But, is there a way to secure an alert, medium to large size dog in the co-pilot's seat of a -6?

Anyone have a proven technique?
Louise,

We put our 55 lb bulldog Torque in back of our -9, along with luggage and have never had a problem with the W&B or handling of the plane.

He has never been secured and has always been well behaved, except for that one time he was licking the back of my neck on landing. A distraction but not a big deal.

To get him back there I have to remove the right seat and slide him under the horizontal bar.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Default I don't figure that I'm smarter than Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Louise,

We put our 55 lb bulldog Torque in back of our -9, along with luggage and have never had a problem with the W&B or handling of the plane.
Bill, thanks for the real data point. Van says the -9 is rated for 75# in the baggage compartment, so Torque is within that limit. I'd probably feel comfortable with a 50# dog in a -9. Clayton, the -7 is rated for 100#, as you pointed out, so maybe a large dog in back would work.

My -6 is only rated for 60# and I usually have at least 10# of stuff (i.e., fire extinguishers, canopy cover, oil, tools, etc.) kicking around the back. Not feeling that I'm smarter than Van and always wanting to be prudent in my flying, I chose to follow his limits. Besides, I've felt the unwieldiness of the -6 on landing when I was up against that 60# limit during my final flight from D.C. to Texas. I didn't like it and chose to land at the bigger, nearby airport instead of our home airpark. I don't want to try any more weight in back.

So, I guess it is a <50# dog next time, building a -7, or tell Paul that he'll have to give up his seat to the dog. Hmmmm.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM

GREAT NEWS PETE!!! Glad the flight went well and Liv enjoyed the ride! Beth and I can't wait to meet her!!!

- Peter
RV-4 - N200PF
2016 Dues Paid - Have you paid yours?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Bill, thanks for the real data point. Van says the -9 is rated for 75# in the baggage compartment, so Torque is within that limit. I'd probably feel comfortable with a 50# dog in a -9....
Louise,

This has always been a point of confusion with the -9. My manual lists the max baggage weight at 100 lbs and that is what I have tested and flown it to. With Torque and baggage in the back (cloths for a weekend and my tool bag), I've been right at 100 lbs w/o any problem. Remember, the -9 is much more stable than the -7, partly because of the HUGE HS and elevator. Thus is feels much more stable in pitch with an aft CG than the -7 does.

BTW, on the way to OSH this past summer we had two 220 pounders on board and 100 pounds of baggage and were still w/in weight (1750 GW) and CG with my -9. Tell Paul you are going to build a -10 together, keep his -8, and put Mickey up for adoption. Then you will have the best of both worlds.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Thumbs down No family station wagon for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Tell Paul you are going to build a -10 together, keep his -8, and put Mickey up for adoption. Then you will have the best of both worlds.
Yeah, Paul suggested that one awhile back but I vetoed it. That would mean that I would be stuck with the family station wagon (RV-10). No thank you. Paul offers the Val to me to fly, but I know it will always be his. Instead, we're planning a -3. I guess one of us can fly Mikey (or Val) and the dog while the other rides the wing in the -3. I suspect that would cost less all around (build, maintenance, and fuel/oil) than having the -8 and a -10. It will be a lot more fun, I think, too!
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM

With Nora about to complete her 9 month QB any day now, I have suggested I build a -3 and then she can take the -9, "The Boy", and Torque and I'll simply follow in the -3.

I'm thinking owning both the -9 and a -3 has got to be a lot cheaper than building and owning a -10. So far she is just not buying it.

Thus I'm thinking of building something completely different, something like a Warner Revolution. That should keep me out of trouble for a few years.

Man, talk about thread drift...
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Please!

Let's focus back on the cute dog ...... The moderators are gonna kill the whole thread.

Time for one more gratuitious engine monitor shot......

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1900+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Here's how I load my 70# golden retriever in the baggage area. I bought a couple of rubberbacked bath mats/rugs. One goes on the wing walk area and the other goes over the side of the fuselage. I remove the passenger seat for loading access. The first time he wasn't sure what was happening but now jumps right in. For CG purposes, I remove everything else from the baggage area. Try this link for pictures of the process.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tacaruth/BennyAndAirplane#

Good Luck!

Tom, RV-7A Flying