VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM

Nice looking pooch Pete! The pictures from the plane were top notch as usual! I look at those and it just makes me want to fly. Maybe if I tell my wife I am going to look at puppies in South Dakota I will be able to fly more often!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Ahhh... Now I understand the trick (moderators). I'll take my dog up flying this weekend, take some pics. Then I'll post....

Houston
Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Dog Loading Techniques???

Man, I've been forgetting to ask this question for years... My wife and I are 'Dog People' and her utopia of flying would be with our two dogs: one black lab named Sarah, and one terrier mix named Maggie. Ok, I think it'd be cool too!

Maggie being small seems to be a no brainer. But I've often wondered how I would load Sarah into my -7 for family outings. She weighs 80 lbs. I've taxied with her before, as a test, and it was easy enough to pick her up and let her kinda crawl over and into the space where I'd removed the right seat. (She did fine on the taxi, BTW)

But - once my beautiful -7 has it's quadrillion dollar paint job, and with the seat and wife installed for a cross country, I'm cringing at the thought of her scratching the side paint as I heave her over the rail and into the baggage area. Or flailing around trying to wriggle down the back side of the seat-back and into the baggage area and scratching the aft canopy or interior or instrument panel, efis..... (I could worry for pages).

Should I load her without the seat, then replace the seat, then load wife, baggage, Maggie? I'm not the tallest human around and it's a bit of a stretch for me to lean over with 80lbs. at arms length while not crushing the trailing edge of the flap with my shins.

What are some techniques and best practices out there from those who've been doing this in -6's, 7's, and 9's?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Pete I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My family loves boxers and we think that they are the single most greatest pet on the planet. Our 5 year old Layla looks like a perfect twin to olivia. Looks like you found yourself another great dog.
Builder #81282
RV8 - "Lovely Liberty"
Tail Kit under construction...
Saving for wing kit!!
C-130 Loadmaster

¨¨×¨×¨Ô¨×¨×¨¨
Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Default Doggie Delivered......

Well, the paperwork and the weather cleared this week, So I headed off to Sioux Falls to get the new dog! It was an easy trip down at 6500 ft with a 90deg crosswind from the south. On the way into the pattern at Y14 I got a nice hello from someone that knew my name on CTAF - sorry we did not get to talk more - drop me a PM if you are on the boards.

After a quick snack and bio-break in the FBO, the foster dog mom arrived and we loaded Liv into the seatless and stickless passenger side on an old sleeping bag.

She was a bit anxious, but quickly settled down and snuggled up to my leg.

Once we leveled off at 5500 for the trip home, she got downright comfortable.....

Since she was doing so well, I went to economy mode and saved a gallon or two. That's 32 statute miles per gallon at 154 smph. The post-it tells you I know myself well enough to worry about leaving the O2 on............

Soon we were home. She slept the whole way and perked up as we turned final. Hmmm - just like my wife. She is already a big hit at home.

The Best part is that Andi and Boo are happy.

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1900+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Pete,

She is a really nice looking puppy and looks like she has already fit in to the family.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Default Some Gain, Some Loss

Thanks Bill - I gained a pup and I see you lost the JATO Bottles ..........

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1900+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehowell View Post
Thanks Bill - I gained a pup and I see you lost the JATO Bottles ..........
I also de-tuned the engine by removing the FI and turbo.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Wish I had pictures

Congratulations, Pete! And thanks for taking on a rescue dog. Paul and I are contemplating doing the same in the near future.

I'm curious if you secured the dog in some way. When I flew my malamute in the same position for the hurricane evacuation, she was drugged AND I ran the seat belt through her harness. (I do wish I had taken pictures!) As I wouldn't contemplate throwing a dog over 50# in the back, with or without passengers , and I don't want a dog getting excited and moving around in the front with me, I'm wondering how I might bring the contemplated Siberian along on my commute. The ear protection (I used cotton) is obvious. But, is there a way to secure an alert, medium to large size dog in the co-pilot's seat of a -6?

Anyone have a proven technique?
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM

She's a looker Pete. Congrats

Allen