What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A different kind of Oshkosh

ColoRv

Well Known Member
This year's Oshkosh was different for me than previous years in that this time I flew in my newly completed RV8! The trip was relatively uneventful both ways with most of it spent dodging weather and winds I'm not sure I was quite ready for with my 60 hours of RV time. As my guru said though, "That's how we gain experience."

E0C76116-922C-417E-87F2-B49726D31831_zpsrarhl0rk.jpg

4B28DE66-23E9-4F87-9F33-75FEEF695989_zpsxvjohkjj.jpg

Bright and early Monday morning the judges descended on my new bird.

000DA155-DC38-4948-A29C-62F676A1EC3B_zpsipfkhrru.jpg

We build these wonderful flying contraptions surrounded by our friends and as our friends they tell us what a beautiful job we do but 21 judges signing the card are not our friends and these experts don't pull any punches. Later in the day a judge arrived who went straight to every difficult part of the build. Another judge pointed out that this was the RV expert in their group, and I recognized the name Rick Gray from these forums. He had me unlock the controls and raise the flaps and really took my plane apart. It's humbling when a real expert finds every one of our missteps. He couldn't have been nicer about everything though and it was obvious he was trying to help me improve my skills. After pointing out a couple dozen heartbreaking errors, he shook my hand and told me I really built a beautiful bird. What a great guy, as were all the judges.

B5CC1F74-85DD-477A-A4EF-F1D002DDC9EA_zpsld4qppy0.jpg

I stayed at the plane all week and met more people than I thought possible. What a great community of people we have in this RV hobby of ours. There were some characters too of course as I was informed that I should have gone Dynon instead of Garmin due to Garmin being made for cars while Dynon is IFR certified. Also learned my base/clear was bound to peal off on the way home, and my angle valve isn't really suited for an RV. It really is an experience standing next to your plane for a week of Oshkosh! I am happy to report not one kid stood on my wheel pants or played trampoline on my empennage. I was waiting for a kid to show an interest so I could put him in the pilot seat and have him fire up the panel but alas no such opportunity arose.

On Friday I received a letter from EAA inviting me to the awards ceremony, which arrived a short time after my buddies played a prank with a fake official letter inviting me to attend a metal workshop at Oshkosh to improve myself and offering that I should leave prior to the ceremony. My buddies...not to worry, I will get even. In any event, I did get the real letter and on Saturday night received....

EA175DBC-48C3-40B3-96F8-F9CF14D00C56_zpstk3h86ve.jpg

The weather got nasty again on Sunday and prevented my departure prior to the airshow which didn't break my heart.

3D7744B7-3387-4B2D-86D4-0E1AF205061F_zpscticxk88.jpg

So my plane's first Oshkosh is in the books and I came away from it amazed by the people involved in our hobby and with knowledge of how to improve my bird for next year. Those Lindy's really do look pretty cool...see ya next year Rick. It will be a little harder finding the faults next time!

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

I wonder if there is anyway to get the kind of inspection and scrutiny without being at OSH once a year?

Super plaque, anyone would be proud to have that hanging about the place. Be sure to show it off back home too.

I looked at your plane while at OSH. You definitely deserve the workmanship award - Nice and congrats!!

Congratulation, you have a really nice RV-8! I know we don't build these aircraft to win an award, but an award now and then is icing on the cake.

FYI, you may gain a few knots if you change the low wing airplane symbol on the Garmin to the jet symbol!:D

That is a great story Bill. It has to be humbling getting the equivalent of a colonoscopy with people checking your work out. Im not sure I am up to it. I may bring a big tarp the first year I fly in!!

Good work my friend. Have fun flying!!

I'm no expert, but when I got within 5 feet of your airplane at OSH I new you were going to win an award. Great Job!

That is a great story Bill. It has to be humbling getting the equivalent of a colonoscopy with people checking your work out. Im not sure I am up to it. I may bring a big tarp the first year I fly in!!

Good work my friend. Have fun flying!!

It was daunting to be sure. When I walked out to the plane Monday morning I expected to sit there waiting for judges and chat with my buddies that walked by once in a while. Maybe have a builder or two per day walk over and say hello. The biggest surprise of the week, besides the award itself, was the crowd of people that always seemed to be around. Lots of questions and compliments .....and I kept saying to myself "don't these guys know I built this in my basement? I'm no expert!" My voice was hoarse every morning from talking all day long.

It really was quite an experience and my thanks to everyone that stopped by. Watching golf ball size hail storms roll by within a few miles of us was a part of that experience I would rather do without. I think I aged a few years there. :)

Went through the same thing last year. Judges were fantastic and Rick came back later to point out a few things that should be changed, one even a safety of flight issue! It was a great experience but not one I am eager to repeat. I didn't really enjoy the rest of the show because I spent so much time hanging around my plane to see what the judges were looking at and how many people were stopping to take a look, hundreds!

This year I covered it up and went to see the show, and look at all the beautiful planes I missed last year. Stopped and looked at yours, beautiful! Good job.

Nice job ol' hangar mate! Bill and I got our airworthiness certs the same day and I know firsthand all the hard work he put into the plane coming down the stretch as we worked side by side long hours. Enjoy flying her....we'll have to get a formation flight planned sometime soon for some pics.

RV8

William,

Your RV8 'King' was and is a show stopper! I was stopped in my tracks when I first eyed your airplane! Lucky for me you were not surrounded and had time for my questions.
Congratulations on a beautiful job, I am not surprised you received an award. I thought I was looking at a winner at first glance!

Wish you many years of flying pleasure.

Last edited:
Go fly her..

OK Bill, now that you've got your well deserved award, take her out and do what you made her for.. Fly.

It was great talking to you and getting to see your beautiful ship.

Wow I am speechless! There are very few true craftsmen and you are one of them Bill. Wonderful beautiful machine now go do what Widget said :)

Outstanding!

Pictures don't do it justice. The paint is the eye-catcher, but the detailing in the cockpit, under the cowl and elsewhere are all worth a second and third look. I came back each time I went to the forums and spent some time admiring the workmanship and asking questions. Congratulations Bill!

Good job, Bill.

Congrats on the award. It was really great seeing you there, having your moment in the sun. Remember, the first success is building it, the second, flying it, the third, making it through your friends' hazing. You've come through it all now Bill. Now go fly the paint off that sucker! :D

All of us here in Denver are very proud of our Billiam. (Bill / William, we are never sure which name he prefers.... so it's Billiam). He did an amazing job of building a spectacular airplane, a very unique RV-8, which is tough to do these days with so many airplanes out there. Excellent craftsmanship in every area.

Congratulations Billiam, it's a well deserved award, we are proud of you!

Jim Gray
N747JG RV-8
Evergreen, CO

It was those brand new chrome valve covers you installed that did the trick :D:D:D
j/k

Congrats! What a beautiful and outstanding RV-8! You did a fantastic job on it.

Back