What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying and riding motorcycles

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
For those of you who love to ride bikes as well as fly, I thought I would share a neat opportunity with you. My son and I both ride, but live on the South side of Atlanta. All of the great roads are up north of Atlanta in the Smokey Mountains. It is a bout a 3 1/2 hour bike ride to get to them, some of which are in the top 10 roads in the country (Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherahola Skyway, etc). I hate the ride through Atlanta, and often wondered how nice it would be to park the bike somewhere that we could fly to it and then ride.

Well, after discussing it with the Western Carolina Regional Airport (KRHP), it turns out they were very open to us parking bikes there, the condition being that we would fly in. Please don't throw me into that briar patch Mr. Wolf!

So, for $25 a month we have our bikes parked at the airport in a locked hangar. The neat thing is that they now want more business. :) So, for those of you who are interested, call and ask for Joe. 828-321-5114

The airport is about 2 miles from the entrance to the Mountains and some of the best riding there is!

I am not affiliated and get nothing out of this, except make some new RV/biker friends. :) I keep thinking someone is going to pinch me and wake me up. :)

Vic

I flew over to KRHP not long ago to meet Richard Parker. The FBO is named after him. What a great guy!

nNYoFc.jpg

You'll love the Tail of the Dragon. My son rode that last year on his Africa Twin. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKKVMUpCzqo

Vic, next time you go up to ride, let me know. My wife and I love riding up there and staying overnight at Fontana Village. We're riding a goldwing.

I am very lucky to be able to turn left out of my driveway and ride eight miles up the hill and have over 40 turns to the top. I have an 87 Low rider, a 05 SV650 and a 2013 TW200. The TW200 Yamaha is a blast on this road. In the last 1000 miles up and down that road, there has been less than 10 other vehicles to share the road with.

Vic, what a great reason to go fly........ enjoy!

BTW.... remember to check that tire pressure on your bike.

Vic,
Drop us a line if you are planning to ride closer to Asheville. Diane and I would be happy to join.

Curious. You did not mention the Dahlonega, GA area however it might attract a different style riding (sport bike). The 129/180/60 loop near Two Wheels Only is some of the best riding in the country I think.

I will try to remember to let you know when we are going. As for some of the comments---yes, I have ridden the Drag 8 times, but really love the Cherahola and the Blue Ridge a whole lot more, as there are more sweepig views with lots of scenery. Yes, really like Dahlonega, too. My wife and I used to go up there almost every weekend when we lived on the North side of Atlanta. Suches and Vogle State Park are really nice rides, but the Sport bikes can drive you nuts at times. I think they are on suicide missions half the time! We've seen a number of them in wrecks. :(

Vic

First post, starting on a RV-8 project first 1/2 of 2018.

Debbie and I were riding on the Blueridge Parkway today. Perfect day for riding and flying, upper 60s to lower 70s and clear. Hopefully will ride and fly with y'all in the future!

Photo taken at 4400' on BRP between Grandfather Mountain and Blowing Rock NC:

Bill, welcome to VAF:D

Mike,

Appreciate the Welcome!

Admired Vans RV aircraft for many years. We were at Oshkosh in the early 80s when Debbie grabbed me by the arm saying "you have to see this airplane". It was a candy apple red RV-4. It made the cover of Sport Aviation with the name, "Candy Apple Red". We both admired RVs since seeing that RV-4.

Since we're talking about motorcycles, have a couple of motorcycle build projects to complete, that should be ready to sell by next April, so I can start building the RV-8. :) Still keeping the FJ-09 for two up mountain riding.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
Back