What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is zaon still the most complete traffic scanner for a budget price ?

erikpmort

Well Known Member
No one is happy with the Gdl 39 or stratus solutions for traffic as I read, so is the simple transponder interrogater still the best solution ? I noticed Zaon went out of biz though so I'm concerned about buying a non supported product ?

I don't want this to become an adsb talk- I just want a simple solution for less than 1k that can pick up traffic from a simple transponder.

Am I right in wanting this or am I off track? Thanks

I like mine but it's a bit hard to read. I don't have ADS-B yet.

It only reports traffic that has their transponder on, a surprisingly low percentage, it seems. The device is certainly an aid to looking around but that's all it is. Doesn't replace the eyeball.

Dave

I have a couple of Monroy ATD-300s if you are interested. Both give altitude and range with voice alerts. One also has the directional antenna to give relative bearing.

I believe they are still in production.

I switched over to ADS-B a couple of years ago; I have encountered unreported traffic with both systems. ADS-B is great when it works, but I kinda miss the voice notifications that the Monroy had.

Paige

Monroy ATD-300

Looks like the Monroy ATD-300 is still available. Provides direct line-of-sight detection of transponder-equipped aircraft. Self-contained. Does not require ground processing, transmission, and subsequent reception like ADS-B. Also works in the back country and other locations where ADS-B is unavailable or intermittent.

http://www.monroyaero.com/

http://www.monroyaero.com/ATD300V10.pdf

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/monroyairtraffic.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ant300antenna.php

Last edited:
If you are willing to equip with ADSB out and in, I don't understand what the downside is other than having to spend a little $. Your likely going to need it anyway in a few years unless you want to avoid Class C etc. Seems like the traffic limitations mostly are associated with only having ADSB in and not out.

Erich

XRX

I have a XRX I would sell if you want it. works fine $400 bucks

I am in Africa and we will never have ADS whatever. My XRX is also on all the time and is a great help.
Will the Monroy interface with Dynon SV like the XRX?

Adsb

So if you're in and out equipped then it covers everything ? And of course when I say everything that doesn't really mean everything because it never does but it will get anything with a transponder ? I think I'll wait a little longer, still 4 years. At least i have a 400w which is good for the source. I'll probably pick up an xrx for now. Most people seem pretty happy with them.

So if you're in and out equipped then it covers everything ? And of course when I say everything that doesn't really mean everything because it never does but it will get anything with a transponder ? I think I'll wait a little longer, still 4 years. At least i have a 400w which is good for the source. I'll probably pick up an xrx for now. Most people seem pretty happy with them.

The answer ("will it get anything with a transponder?") is yes, if:
1. You are in range (mostly high enough) of an ADSB ground station;
2. Other aircraft is in area of radar coverage;
3. Other aircraft has a mode C or S transponder.

It's #3 that worries me. I do not know if aircraft without altitude reporting will show up, how they are displayed or even if they get by my internal altitude filter. At best aircraft at unknown altitudes may trigger a lot of false alarms. Currently, I have never seen any, which makes me think they aren't being shown. Or, maybe there are just very few mode A aircraft left flying.

Last edited:
Monroy

I have been flying with a Monroy for quite a few years. It has given me heads up a few times on traffic that I didn't see in my scan. On Saturday it gave me a different heads up. I was about 5 miles from my home airport and going thru my prelanding checks and I heard a voice in my headset say "low voltage". Glanced at my ammeter and sure enough, looks like I have a VR or alternator problem to solve.

I'm a satisfied customer.

Jeff

If you have a tablet, look up the Stratux, yes, correct spelling. Inexpensive ADS-B in system, but DIY.

Dave

Has anybody successfully put one of these together? Looks like a piece of Raspberry Pi!!! Not much assembly required at all.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/instruments-and-avionics/live-weather-and-traffic-for-less-than-$120

The answer ("will it get anything with a transponder?") is yes, if:
1. You are in range (mostly high enough) of an ADSB ground station;
2. Other aircraft is in area of radar coverage;
3. Other aircraft has a mode C or S transponder.

It's #3 that worries me. I do not know if aircraft without altitude reporting will show up, how they are displayed or even if they get by my internal altitude filter. At best aircraft at unknown altitudes may trigger a lot of false alarms. Currently, I have never seen any, which makes me think they aren't being shown. Or, maybe there are just very few mode A aircraft left flying.

Bob,

I have been curious. Dos the TIS-B traffic data include "primary only" targets (i.e. no transponder)?

Larry

I and many others have. There is a long thread not too far down from this one on the subject. It is a 30 minute project with no real technical skills involved. The traffic is limited if you don't have ADS-B out, but well worth $100 to get real-time weather in-flight.

Larry

QUOTE=ArVeeNiner;1021371]Has anybody successfully put one of these together? Looks like a piece of Raspberry Pi!!! Not much assembly required at all.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/instruments-and-avionics/live-weather-and-traffic-for-less-than-$120[/QUOTE]

Yes and it works very well - dual receivers and GPS.

mImPUN2.jpg

Last edited:
Back