What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hub avionics wiring system.

LyleM

Has anybody had any experience or know somebody that has with the Hub avionics wiring system that I see on A/C Spruce? It looks like it would simplfy a lot of the wiring behind the panel. Lyle

Is this a different hub than what Approach Fast Stack Hubs sells ?

I went with the Fast Stack Hub and pre-wired harnesses for my 8's panel.
Everything seems like it's constructed and put together rather nicely.

I'm a few weeks away from putting it in the plane and turning it all on though, so I can't comment on how it works yet.

Hub System

A few years ago, 4 or 5, I installed a hub system in an RV6 I was rebuilding, the installation was straight foward and everything worked well. IMHO the only negative was the $$$. I have since sold the airplane to a friend, the system continues to work trouble free.
Dick

I used Fast Stack's Hub by Approach Systems. My avionics are Dual GRT, EIS, GNS430W, SL30, GMA 340, GTX 327 & 496. It went together without problem, very clean installation. Worked as advertised. Any questions I had during installation, I just called Tim, very nice guy. He will do anything to help you.

My system (hub & cables) cost around $1,600. I think I would have spent about the same for an avionics tech to wire it, but this has greater flexibility for the future.

Call Tim at 218 237-7825

Fast Stack

Thanks Wicked Stick. I looked up Fast stack Hub and it looks like they have even more options. I know this hub wiring system will cost more, but I figure it will save me a lot of construction time and possible mistakes and maybe operation problems. In about a week I will be fliping the fus over and I will be getting close to that panel. Lyle

Fast Stack

Thanks CNEJR. I think you replyed just before I made my first reply. Yes I'm thinking more all the time this might be the way to go. Lyle

Take a look at the Vertical Power system. It is roughly a similar idea but has a lot more intelligence and simplifies wiring the power wires thorughout the airplane. The FastStack is for the data wires. We have several customers who are using both together. www.verticalpower.com.

Marc

After having 2 airplanes wired by 'avionics' people and had problems, we used the Approach Systems Fast stack for our 7.

Garmin 327,430, King COM,Garmin Txp plus Digitrak.

Plugged everything in, switched on, it worked - very happy indeed and about the same price as getting someone in.

Avionics Hubs - Failure Mode Effects

I've been following the threads about prefabricated avionics hubs, and several fellow builders have recommended the Approach Fast Stack system for my RV-6 project.

My concern is whether a hub will create a potential massive single point of failure in an avionics installation. With all of the wiring running to/from a single box, I wonder whether it makes the installation susceptible to a failure in the hub. Is such a system more or less robust than discreet wiring?

Any thoughts?

Rob Erdos
RV-6...in progress
Ottawa, Canada

I am also installing the FastStack hub, but have not powered up. The hub is not powered, it is really a passive backplane of interconnections. I don't think there is really a possibility of a "Hub" failure. A wire or connection could fail, but that would be the same as a wire or connector failing without it.

Could be wrong, but I do know it has no power to it.

DIY Hub

It is not difficult to "roll your own" wiring hub. Here is mine. A dumb backplane as mentioned above.

33ufnso.jpg

The advantage is that as you built it you are well placed to adjust it if your needs change. Plus it is so much cheaper.
I made a simple box shape out of aluminium and then decided to pretty up the front panel by designing and having a nice engraved front panel cut for it.
I added a few spares for future expansion.

2z58vmf.jpg

Steve

The "issue" for most of us is figuring out the interconnections, which when it comes to data/signal lines it's a nightmare for all but a trained and experienced electrician.
I had Pacific Coast Avionics do the interconnections for just my audio panel and nav/com and that cost $900. The pigtails were way too long so have coils behind my panel. I wired the rest of the panel.

If I were to do it over again, I'd do the hub system. Tell them what you have and it's plug and play.

The "issue" for most of us is figuring out the interconnections, which when it comes to data/signal lines it's a nightmare for all but a trained and experienced electrician.
I had Pacific Coast Avionics do the interconnections for just my audio panel and nav/com and that cost $900. The pigtails were way too long so have coils behind my panel. I wired the rest of the panel.

If I were to do it over again, I'd do the hub system. Tell them what you have and it's plug and play.

Ditto here. If I were to do it again, OR make a major panel upgrade, I am going back with the pro-hub.

It is not difficult to "roll your own" wiring hub. Here is mine. A dumb backplane as mentioned above.

The advantage is that as you built it you are well placed to adjust it if your needs change. Plus it is so much cheaper.
I made a simple box shape out of aluminium and then decided to pretty up the front panel by designing and having a nice engraved front panel cut for it.
I added a few spares for future expansion.

Steve

I decided on a simpler version of Steves. With modern stuff data wires in D-Sub connectors are relatively easy to add. Serial data is only a couple of wires to add/subtract now.

I just made a standard format for in-line D-Sub plug/sockets for two Comm radios and a GPS unit. This will allow an easy path to a future Garmin GTN 950 when the price drops...:D

Using both Vertical Power VP200 system and FastStack. Not flying just yet but have many hours of trouble-free power-on time. Superb support and response from both.

Hi Steve
Just in the process of installing twin screen Skyview system. Very interested in your design for the wiring hub. Could you tell me where you had the front panel made please

2 Time user

I have used the Approach Systems hub in my first 7 and have installed it in my second one as well. I really like the simplicity.

My only recommendation to potential users is when ordering, order long power and ground wires. They come out of the connector at the device NOT the hub. You have power and ground wires everywhere. With the long wires you can tie them onto the cable and run them back to the hub as a central starting point for all of the power and grounds. Much easier than finding a path for each one from the device.

When coupled with the Vertical Power VP-X it doesn't get much easier.

It's done.

Since I started this thread, and it seems to have gotten legs, I guess I will tell you what I did. After reading the replies and doing some research. I went with the Pro-X Hub from Approach Fast Stack for data and I went with the VP-X Pro from Vertical Power for power. I still don?t have anything from the firewall forward on my -8, but from the firewall back, I have it done. Since my electrical savvy is not good and the panel is all glass, I needed something relatively easy to put together, but robust also. I have powered the system up several times including exterior lights and there was no smoke or sparks. I had Tim with Approach make up the cables that look very professionally done. The support from both companies is excellent. For those that decide to go with the Approach Hub system, I found it extremely important to take some old TV coax cable to use to find out exactly how long each cable needs to be before you have Tim make up the cables. I wouldn?t say going with these 2 systems makes the electrical system plug and play, but it sure makes the electrical system a quick build. If I had it all to do again, it would be a no brainer.

After having 2 airplanes wired by 'avionics' people and had problems, we used the Approach Systems Fast stack for our 7.

Garmin 327,430, King COM,Garmin Txp plus Digitrak.

Plugged everything in, switched on, it worked - very happy indeed and about the same price as getting someone in.

Work quality varies greatly. An "avionics" person who just simply uses solid work practices and the proper tools will put out a quality product.

People who don't follow tool manufacturers' instructions or acceptable practices create a lot of problems.

I recommend, if you work in the aviation field, go look at the backside of a circuit breaker panel on a Boeing product. Go down and look in the avionics bay.

You don't have to be an "avionics" guy to do a good job yourself. You just need to have a solid plan, use acceptable practices, and use the proper tools correctly.

The hub system is throwing extra money and complexity at a problem that just doesn't need to exist.

I like the idea of the Vertical Power system. From what I've seen, its an exceptional product line that adds real value, for a price.

But, you can get quality results yourself, doing it old-school. And, you can save money and weight in the process.

I've wired a couple of IFR panel upgrades on some older flying club aircraft. The learning curve (even for an old "avionics" guy) was steep at first. But, its doable.

I used this for the interconnection of all my serial ports to various instruments and avionics in my Harmon Rocket. Perfect for a SkyView installation that needs bussed serial ports.

AXIS_25A_photo__35701.1361376981.1280.1280.jpg

I also used this, which Dynon has now shamelessly copied.

AXIS_9A_photo__60765.1361376492.1280.1280.jpg

These are open hardware devices from here.

I recently gave Dynon and Pacific Coast Avionics some more of my money and added a second SkyView screen to my panel. The only wiring I had to add was power and ground connections to the SV. I just attached a 25 pin connector to the SV harness ends and plugged into into the 25-pin bus, with a prefabricated SV Net connector plugged into the 9-pin bus.

For the do it yourself folks, this solution just needs a bunch of d-sub connector shells and crimp pins (Steinair has the best deal on these) and a barrel crimp tool.

Cheers,

Another thumbs up for Approach Faststack. One of the best decision I have made regarding the selected components in the RV.

Power in hub?

I'm curious for those that did the "roll your own hub" approach, did you run power, ground, and/or lighting through the hub?

I'm considering rolling my own hub for the new panel in my -8

Avionics Hub Wiring SitRep

My RV-6 project is progressing.

I bought the avionics hub from approach fast stack to handle data connections for my Skyview EFIS with Garmin IFR avionics installation. When it came time to connect the boxes, I called Tim at Approach Systems, provided him with the avionics list, and within about ten days he sent me everything in one box. It's nice work, and well documented and labeled. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
My RV-6 project is progressing.

I bought the avionics hub from approach fast stack to handle data connections for my Skyview EFIS with Garmin IFR avionics installation. When it came time to connect the boxes, I called Tim at Approach Systems, provided him with the avionics list, and within about ten days he sent me everything in one box. It's nice work, and well documented and labeled. I'm impressed.

Same with my panel upgrade using the Fast Stack system. Tim had the wiring and hub to me within two weeks of purchasing. Everything worked the 1st time and he had even connected future capabilities that I did not even know about.

Consider me a very satisfied customer.

:cool:

Back