What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump burned up - replacement?

walkman

Well Known Member
Two weeks ago while on downwind, on the wing for a section landing, I thought I started smelling something funny. My concentration was riveted on lead, and I assumed it was coming from outside. I was over SC after all :D

On final and roll out it was getting quite strong. When I finally took eyes off lead to shut down I saw smoke coming up from the foot well. With the lack of air moving through the cockpit the burned electrical smell got quite strong. I shut everything down and got out in a hurry.

Turned out to be my electric fuel pump. We had been doing section landings in the pattern and I think this was #4. I'd left the pump running continuously the whole time.

When I went to replace it, I found a Holley Blue Electric Fuel Pump. Is the use of this pump common? A problem?

Can this pump be run continuously? If not, what is the plan if I'm en route and loose the mechanical pump if I can't run the electric continuously.

I replaced with a like pump to get back into the air again, but should I be replacing this with something else? What?

You might want to consider one from EFII, an advertiser on this site - front page, left side, about half way down. Good pumps - rated for continuous duty.

Or the pump from Airflow Performance, also advertisers with great customer support and top notch technology (assuming you are flying an IO-360 in your -8).

Last edited:
Pump

Is this Carb or Injected?Have you removed and dismantled the pump yet? Looks like their are kits available.This is a low pressure rotor vane motor style pump.The stock pump is a Facet solenoid pump. My thought is why did the pump fail. What is jamming the vanes? Also this type of pump requires an external regulator. is there a 70 micron filter on the intake of the pump?Any photos of the install?

Last edited:
Is this Carb or Injected?Have you removed and dismantled the pump yet? Looks like their are kits available.This is a low pressure rotor vane motor style pump.The stock pump is a Facet solenoid pump. My thought is why did the pump fail. What is jamming the vanes? Also this type of pump requires an external regulator. is there a 70 micron filter on the intake of the pump?Any photos of the install?

It is a fuel injected engine. RSA/Bendix.

Is/was this Holley pump a common pump to use?

I'm sure it is rated for continuous use in its intended application, hot rodders fuel injection.

I'm not sure why it failed. I hadn't thought about disassembling it, I will do that.

I have fuel filters in the wing roots.

It is a fuel injected engine. RSA/Bendix.

Is/was this Holley pump a common pump to use?

I'm sure it is rated for continuous use in its intended application, hot rodders fuel injection.

I'm not sure why it failed. I hadn't thought about disassembling it, I will do that.

I have fuel filters in the wing roots.

Looks like this is the wrong pump as max output is 14psi.If the mechanical pump failed you'd be out of luck. Andair also makes a pump along with the others recommended. I'd check with Walt on this one.
R.Hill

If you smelled something burned, it is probably because this holley pump is not a flow through design. Nearly all automotive pumps are flow through. The two suppliers above have good track records and would be a reliable replacement.

Good Luck and happy to hear that you landed safely given the possibilities.

It was burned black and nasty inside. No obviously problem with the impeller. I'm replacing it very soon.

Am I missing the make/model? Can you tell us what it was/is?

This is on a second owner plane Fuel injected,requiring a high pressure electric pump.The pump in question is a Holly automotive pump with a max output of 14psi. As Rocket Bob has pointed out in days gone by you could stretch the spring to get the pressure in the mid 20 psi range and save money over the $500 aviation FI pump. So unless you also have a auto pump feeding your FI This should Not be a Factor.
RHill

Two weeks ago while on downwind, on the wing for a section landing, I thought I started smelling something funny. My concentration was riveted on lead, and I assumed it was coming from outside. I was over SC after all :D

On final and roll out it was getting quite strong. When I finally took eyes off lead to shut down I saw smoke coming up from the foot well. With the lack of air moving through the cockpit the burned electrical smell got quite strong. I shut everything down and got out in a hurry.

Turned out to be my electric fuel pump. We had been doing section landings in the pattern and I think this was #4. I'd left the pump running continuously the whole time.

When I went to replace it, I found a Holley Blue Electric Fuel Pump. Is the use of this pump common? A problem?

Can this pump be run continuously? If not, what is the plan if I'm en route and loose the mechanical pump if I can't run the electric continuously.

I replaced with a like pump to get back into the air again, but should I be replacing this with something else? What?

What size fuse or circuit breaker is installed for your pump?

Back