What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck closing

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Well, this stinks. According to AvWeb

Troubled by decreasing volume in a flat aviation economy, Mattituck Services, one of the northeast's longest-established engine shops, will close at the end of May, according to Continental Motors. Some of the 23 affected employees will move to Continental's Fairhope, Alabama facility, which offers similar services on overhauls and factory service.

"Very simply, we're closing the Mattituck facility and integrating it with our facility in Fairhope, Alabama. Unfortunately, four years of continued bad GA market meant that it was not effective to keep two facilities open," said Rhett Ross, CEO of Continental Motors. "Very bluntly, I think both us and Lycoming have a done a good job of pointing out the value of factory options and that has made a contribution across the board to the decline there. It was not an easy decision, but that facility has been marginal for at least the half decade."

I suppose this explains the big parts sale (see spreadsheet) underway.

Last edited:
Say it ain't so!

My first thought is "Where will Mahlon Russell go?" Even though I haven't bought my engine yet, I've talked to Mahlon several times by email and have met him at Oshkosh and considered Mattituck to be a strong contender for my engine dollars come purchase time. I sure hope he's treated well in this shutdown. He's been a regular contributor to these forums. Nice guy and extremely knowledgeable about these engines.

I think Mahlon pretty well WAS Mattituck (Long Island). I know when it came time to buy an engine, I pretty much did so because of the chatter here about him. And he sure helped me get this recent mag issue sorted out.

I'm not sure how a lot of GA-centered businesses are going to make it.

I agree it stinks but I hope the guys in New York are taken care of. I got a feeling that Mahlon will still monitor this forum and try to help us out when possible. Its never good when businesses that existed for years shut their doors. I guess we needed to build more planes on here.

The writing was on the wall

As a part time resident of Long Island's North Fork where Mattituck is located I make a point of either driving by or flying over the airport fairly often. What was at one time a bustling small airport and engine business has become a bit of a ghost town with a few airplanes tied down and fewer cars parked outside the business. I attended Mahlon's engine building day a few year's ago and it was one of the best Saturday's of my life. It is only a matter of time until the airport is a subdivision.:mad: Ouch!

This is truly sad.

We have two Mattituck-built engines, and in my visit there when we built the first one I got the feeling that this was a company of really experienced people who loved to build engines "right". They were unfortunately victims of corporate shuffling, but this didn't change their individual attitudes as engine builders.

Here's hoping that the good folks of Mattituck - like Mahlon - find new homes in the engine-building world, and that their experience is not lost to the rest of us.

Paul

Mahlon

I called Mattituck a while back with a question regarding a yellow tag they issued in 1992. As I talked to a very pleasant and helpful guy named Mahlon I realized he was the very guy that had signed the yellow tag 20 years prior. I remember thinking it was refreshing, particularly in the aviation business, to run across a company that had been so stable over the years. Sad to see them close.

WOw

That blows. Feel like I am loosing a friend. Buying a redgold engine was one of the first goals as i started building and a true pleasure when i pulled the trigger. Many days after it arrived I just sat with a beer and stared at it.

Further, when you spend that much and trust your life to something like that, you kind have a special feel for it. Sad indeed. Hope the good folks there all come out the other side well.
Anyother good business gone, progress hey?

David,

Thank you for my TMXIO-540. A work of art, and deserving of being autographed!

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV-10 - finishing, cowling ****.

(ha ha, never knew had auto-editing!)

Last edited:
Sad to see some good folks go.

I can't imagine the Chinese buyout helped much either. I know I (and several other builders I know too) took our money and sent it elsewhere simply based on that one point.

Like Paul said, I hope these folks land close to home and their knowledge isn't lost. They're some great folks to work with based on my conversations with them prior to being sold off.

Phil

Very Sad

I ordered my IO-360 engine just a few weeks ago and sent a pmag to them last week.. Wonder what happens next. Sorry to hear this!

Great guys, this is sad

True to form, Mahlon has not dropped his back at all even with the sad news. He promptly answered my emails just yesterday, I had no idea this was happening. It would be easy to start blowing people off, but not these people of character.

Good luck to all the Mattituck gang, I hope to do business with you where ever you land! Thank you for all your support.

Hard on the employees, and dispersing a knowledge base all appreciated...but it isn't the end of the world. T-C is regrouping, lowering overhead and labor costs...staying in business. Besides, there remain plenty of expert engine assemblers to choose from. The real harm will come when/if the manufacturers start tanking, T-C, ECi, Superior (at least for now!), Lycoming. What scares me is Lyc, followed by Superior and a to lesser extent ECi dramatically jacking up prices 25-30% to cover stagnant overhead with the sale of fewer and fewer engines. Expect more adjustments to a dwindling customer base.

John Siebold

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought is "Where will Mahlon Russell go?" Even though I haven't bought my engine yet, I've talked to Mahlon several times by email and have met him at Oshkosh and considered Mattituck to be a strong contender for my engine dollars come purchase time. I sure hope he's treated well in this shutdown. He's been a regular contributor to these forums. Nice guy and extremely knowledgeable about these engines.

Ditto for me!

Mahlon was so very helpful back when I was setting up my O-290-D2. That engine wouldn't have flown if it wasn't for Mahlon.

Thanks for all the help Mahlon and positive comments here on the forum.

Mahlon is why I bought a TMX. Simple as that. I hope T-C realizes I'm not the only one because my money will follow him.

No one has mentioned it, but to a certain effect this closure is due to Lycoming and TCM's actions. These big guys have been hurting, too, but they realized they could pull in a larger share (all of it?) of the overhaul business by simply jacking up the price of the parts they sell, many of which are not available from any other source.

Prime example was a few years ago when TCM managed to talk the FAA into issuing an A/D on non-VAR cranks, with somewhat questionable data. A/D required crank replacement at overhaul. TCM price for a new VAR crank was many thousands of dollars, unless you bought a TCM overhaul or reman, in which case TCM was willing to take the non-VAR crank without a core charge. Practically every one of these engines went to TCM; no overhaul shop could compete.

Also, I think I recently read that Lycoming stopped supplying IO-540 "kits" to engine specialty shops, or at least priced them out of reach.

As long as Superior and ECI stay in business the competition will keep parts prices within reason for cylinders, lifters, etc. But if we need a part which only Lycoming provides, the sky's the limit on the price.

Of course long term they're shooting themselves in the foot, they'll kill the industry. But no CEO thinks more than 2 years out anymore.

Last edited:
I have a close friend that prior to selling his business which supplied Ford dealerships with engine parts, had a warehouse/distribution center in upstate New York, with about 20 employees. He had to shut his operation there down due to the incredible amount of bureaucracy and high taxes. Just wasn't worth the costs to have the warehouse there. So I'd be willing to bet that their location and all of the costs involved are part of TCM's decision.

Last edited:
Bob, that was my initial thought as well. High taxes are part of a high overhead that may not be supportable today.

Good company it was! I remember their seminars what a learning experience.
Thank you Mattituck!

Mattituck1.jpg

Mattituck3.jpg

mattituck2.jpg

They won't realize what they lost until its gone!

Thanks to all the great folks at Mattituck!

Mahlon for selling me my engine and all the great support while I installed the engine, started the engine for the first time and the fine tuned everything!

Mike for covering for Mahlon when I called...

And thanks "Rick" for building my engine and when I drove down to pick it up you came out to see your "baby" taken away to a new home.

And thanks to all the other Mattituck people for running a top notch business over the years.

Best to you all in the future!

I will bet that...

Mahlon lands on his feet, and that many folks at Mattittuck do as well. It may mean a move, but talent like those folks have shall be rewarded!

Mattituck has been exceptional!

I ordered my IO-360 engine just a few weeks ago and sent a pmag to them last week.. Wonder what happens next. Sorry to hear this!

Mahlon confirmed that my engine is done and on the test stand. It was because of their engine build seminars and terrific responses to questions on this forum by Mahlon that I ordered my engine from Mattituck. Say it ain't so!

Thank you all for the kind words, emails, phone calls and best wishes. I have tried to pass them all along to the guys in the shop who are really wear with all behind the name Mattituck. Without them, their hard work and willingness to get the job done right no matter what it took, the name Mattituck would be unknown. They are the reason us guys that the public see and deal with get such recognition as you all have bestowed. It is very much appreciated and helpful during a stressful time for all of us here. Thanks!
Good Luck,
Mahlon

And from across the Pond.

Specced our RV7 way back, sent a bunch of questions to Mattituck - got comprehensive replies from Mahlon within the hour. Sent the same to Superior....... Still waiting.

That's why Mattituck got and retained the business for further engine parts.

I think there is a business opportunity there for someone to set up a dedicated, ultra experienced team serving the RV and Experimental community for engine builds and re builds on the East Coast.

Good Luck Mahlon & co

Sorry to see you go . . . My Red Gold TMX-IO-320 is performing quite well!

All the best to everyone at Mattituck!

Maybe off topic...but...

Hello. I have been asked by the owner of the VAF site (Doug Reeves) to help enforce the forum posting rules.
I deleted this VAF post for the following reason(s):

__ Civility / Tone
__ Not RV-related
__ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
__ Mod/Policy bashing
xx Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__ eBay / Barnstormers / etc.
__ Duplicate Post

The posting rules are explained in greater detail at: www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm If you feel the need, please direct comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves). His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com Thank you.

Hello. I have been asked by the owner of the VAF site (Doug Reeves) to help enforce the forum posting rules.
I deleted this VAF post for the following reason(s):

__ Civility / Tone
__ Not RV-related
__ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
XX Mod/Policy bashing
__ Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__ eBay / Barnstormers / etc.
__ Duplicate Post

The posting rules are explained in greater detail at: www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm If you feel the need, please direct comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves). His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com Thank you.

I always kid Stein when I go down to SteinAir about how poor the economy is and there's no money in GA. Poor guy can barely keep up with the business what with people throwing 100k minimum at their panels. I have a hard time believing that a 25k engine is the deal-breaker.

But I suspect the future of 100LL is at least part of the problem. In many ways it does feel like we're on the cusp of a new age in propulsion so maybe the uncertainty is part of it, too.

But Van's sells a LOT of kits that end up as airplanes -- 7,691 as of this afternoon. It only took 5 years to go from #5,000 to #7,691. That's phenomenal. The 4,000th kit was sold in 2004. So it appears to me that -- at least with experimentals -- the pace of building is picking up. I'm a little surprised that that hasn't been reflected in the engine market.

I look forward to hearing where Mahlon ends up so I can figure out a way to buy from his company.

Last edited:
I'll be buying an engine in perhaps a year. My choices would have been Aerosport 40%, Mattituck 40%, others 20%. I too will be watching to see what happens.

I've looked at the UL site but doubt I'll get one...a bit too experimental for me.

Independent shop?

Thank you all for the kind words, emails, phone calls and best wishes. I have tried to pass them all along to the guys in the shop who are really wear with all behind the name Mattituck. Without them, their hard work and willingness to get the job done right no matter what it took, the name Mattituck would be unknown. They are the reason us guys that the public see and deal with get such recognition as you all have bestowed. It is very much appreciated and helpful during a stressful time for all of us here. Thanks!
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Perhaps you should consider opening as an independent shop? Mahlon, your name alone is what everyone has come to know and trust.

Perhaps you should consider opening as an independent shop? Mahlon, your name alone is what everyone has come to know and trust.

Second that - half the battle is establishing a good name in the industry, you've already got that.

Agreed, could not have asked for better service and help when I bought my engine.:)

Sad news for such a great place

This is where I got to see my engine build up from scratch. It is sad to see such a great group of people being disbanded.

Possible Airpark at Mattituck?

Good Luck,
Mahlon

Mahlon, who owns the property to the east and west of the runway? What are the future plans for the airport? It seems the vacant land would be suitable for a residential airpark community while the existing buildings that house your operation could still be used as an independent engine/airframe business. As you stated above, you and the guys in the shop ARE THE BUSINESS. Any chance of making a deal to continue to do what you do in some fashion? The RV community, as well as ALL piston powered general aviation enthusiasts, will certainly rally if at all possible.

Last edited:
So sad

I bought a Mattituck TMX a few months because 1) they've been the recommended goto by my A&Ps for 20+ years and 2) they were providing jobs to Americans. Mike provided great support in the buy and someone named David built/signed my beautiful motor. I'll probably never meet either face to face but hope everyone lands on their feet through this!

I too, like everyone else an saddened by this decision.

I am THRILLED to have finally purchased and received my TMX engine and been there to watch it being run in the test cell. The workshops (I attended twice and am in Vlad's picture) were fabulous and I learned LOTS from Mahlon and everyone else there.

Mahlon, THANK YOU for all you have done for me. I do appreciate it.

Please keep in contact with us all here. We all do consider you a friend!

:) CJ

I wonder what it would take to buy the Mattituck division from TCM?

George, When I spoke to Mahlon he said that TCM wasn't really making much off the TMX line of engines. I think that means most of their business was from certified rebuilds and the like.

I think that whatever TCM would want (if you COULD actually purchase it from them) would be more than it was worth.

My crystal ball says that the property will be sold and if someone has the where-with-all to do a start up engine shop, they could have a go at it that way.

If it were I, I would specialize in LYC's and clones and do other machine work as well such as boat and motorcycle engines as well.

Do you want to go in halfsies with me!?! It is a short commute from Omaha!

:) CJ

Last edited:
There is a small group of aviation experts that over many years have earned a special and high level of accomplishment and respect within the aviation community. People like Mike Busch and Bob Nuckolls to name just two. Mahlon Russel definitely belongs to this exalted group and will have a loyal following in any new direction he chooses to take. I'm sorry to learn of Mattituck's demise, and the break up of that highly regarded team.

Back