What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glass Panel Cleaning

vasrv7a

Well Known Member
Can I please get recommendations on what everyone is using to clean all of these new expensive Glass Panel Displays??

Does anyone know what Garmin suggests?

I would like to take very good care of my new equipment.

Thanx.

Victor

Good question, I have wondered the same thing.

PS.
I moved this to "glass Cockpit" so it can be easier to find in the future.

A microfiber cloth and a very small amount of water works pretty well. You don't want to slosh liquid on the screen, of course.

At airshows, we have hundreds (thousands?) of people a day come through to poke at things, so you can imagine the glass gets pretty dirty. Part of the morning routine before the show opens is to clean all the displays using these little "CRT cleaner" thingies we bring along... they are kind of like individually packaged "moist towlette" things, soaked in a bit of alcohol (but not too wet).

mcb

at work this is what they provide.

Note the "EFIS" specific.

65809101.jpg

Go to Staples and pick up a screen cleaner designed for electronic
devices. It should be alcohol free. Only use a microfiber cloth. Spray the cleaner on the cloth not the screen. If the screen is really dusty blow the dust off first. Water is second best but the chemicals added to tap water can be damaging to some screens. The other problem with plain water is it does not pick up the body oils from your finger prints and will tend to leave smears. The very best product I found and used to sell is the screen cleaner from Spray Nine. They were very generous with samples so I've got a lifetime personal supply. A google search will bring up plenty of sources.

In an early Apollo CNX80 manual Wal-Mart Eyeglass cleaner was recommended. I've used it for over 5 years with no ill effects and it's free after the first purchase.

George

Meets Garmin Specs?

http://www.plastekcorporation.com/comm.ga.products/product06.html

I used the samples I got at an airshow and they worked well.

EZCLEAR Instrument Cleaner
Kit Part Number: EZ 52205

Description:

This product meets Garmin Pilot Guide specs for cleaning and is safe to use on glass panels. EZCLEAR Instrument Cleaner provides a safe, effective way to remove fingerprints and dust from glass panels, instruments and more. The kit contains three EZCLEAR Cleaning Packs and one Polishing Cloth; these items have been specifically paired together to ensure safe and effective screen cleaning. Per the instructions, the user wipes the surface with the Cleaning Pack and then dries the area with the Polishing Cloth. The Cleaning Packs are ammonia free, aviation-grade and will not remove or damage any anti-reflective coating. The Polishing Cloth is washable.

Try a microfiber towel, dampen the corner with water put one or two drops of Dawn dishwashing soap on the wet corner and work it into the wet part of the towel. Wipe the screen and the face of the device, then dry with the dry part of the towel.

Works for all my screens and my glasses, just make sure the towel is not wet enough to drip water into the device.

Back