What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio and Xponder removal

meadeduck

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the size of the Allen key used for removing the radios?? We're having a heck of a time getting the correct key for removal; we're at the point that we need to get them out so we can finish up on the autopilot wiring.
thanks
George and Meade
N612RV:confused:

If that doesn't work, try either metric or U.S., the other from what you're trying now. Some of the sizes appear similar but aren't.

Radio Removal

Thanks guys; I'll try the 3/32. We've got a bunch, both metric and sae, but we just couldn't seem to find just the right one.
Meade

3/32" for some but not all

My Apollo and Terra units require similar but different wrenches. If you find that your 3/32" allen doesn't work for all don't do anything rash try others of similar size (I have a metric set but the ones that work are not metric and they are out of different sets with the sizes long worn off of the holders) when you find the right one it works very well. Don't over tighten them during installation. Garmin gave me a tool with the SL-30 that looks like a screw driver for installation and removal in an effort to reduce the risk of damage from the "L" wrench leverage.

Bob Axsom

Allen wrench type

Suggest you use an Allen wrench type that has a ball on the end. I could not engage the cam with a standard Allen wrench.

Bob Kibby N712BK flying

It's 3/32 but...

The shaft of the tool needs to be 3/32 all the way back. the first one I bought had about 1/2" that was 3/32 but the rest of the shaft was slightly bigger and wouldn't slide into the hole.

Wayne 120241

I'll second that 3/32" allen wrench. And as Bob pointed out, DON"T OVERTIGHTEN the locking screw. Garmin made them with a brass screw and once you strip it (easily done), it's duct tape to hold the radio in. Or disassemble the whole radio case. That's why the SL40 comes with a screwdriver style allen tool; supposed to make overtightening more difficult. However, where there's a will there's a way.

George

Back