What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oh the Proverbial Step!

Jetguy

Well Known Member
Here is something we discovered about the RV12 step. Right before OSH 2010 we had the leave the plane out in a rain shower while we were painting the inside of the hanger. The next day we removed the steps to clean them up for the big trip. My buddy was standing there messing with the removed step and next thing you know he had water all over his shoes. It seems that the step will accumulate water at the spot in the picture below.
006.jpg

I think that any steps installed before 2010 may have this same problem. I think that now Vans has you fill this area with proseal. So if you?ve had your plane out in the rain you might want to pull the step and check for water. We drilled a weep hole at the bottom to take care to take care of it.
P5140023.jpg

John
RV12 N1212K

John, someone at OSH had mentioned that to me, was that you? Good catch, and thanks for reminding me! That area definantly needs a drain / weep hole! Standing water in a steel tube is not a good thing. Even with the end "sealed" it should have a weep hole, IMHO.

Also, clean up the end that sticks up in the plane, or better yet if you can make an end cap of some kind also. It definantly needs it for astetic purposes. I know, I know, it's not in the plans..... but it is butt ugly!

Last edited:
Hey John

Thanks for the note. While at the airport this morning, I drilled 2 #40 holes. The one seemed full - I supposed from OSH raining. It had rusty water in it also.

Thanks again,

John Bender

Upper end

Drilling the weep holes is on tomorrow's agenda but if you install the carpet kit that will cover the interior portion of the step-- sure looks better!

Wayne 120241

WOW! I just drilled the holes and I had .5 cup of water in each side. I'll let it dry out and shoot it with a good rust preventative.

Thank you John! I owe you a cold one!

LPS 3 is a great rust preventative.

Speaking of cold, it's important that no water remain in that tube in freezing temperatures lest the water freezes and splits the tube.

George

I am too lazy to drill holes. I just roll my plane and fly upside down for a few minutes to let the steps drain into attached drinking tubes when I get thirsty on long trips.
Larry

Back