- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Default Tip: Cutting Fiberglass Parts

I just finished making the initial cuts on my various RV-12 fiberglass parts (tail fairing, cowl, etc.). I used my cheapy Craig's List Skil bandsaw with excellent results. Here's how I did it: I carefully ran dark masking tape along the mold cut lines - on the outside surface of the fiberglass. I made a saw blade kerf guide out of a scrap piece of clear plastic. I backlit the kerf guide from underneath the saw table using a small worklight. Now I could easily see the saw blade and its relationship to the masking tape through the translucent fiberglass. I was able to accurately guide the fiberglass piece so that the blade cut within 1/16" of the masking tape. Worked great for me -- be very careful, no cutting of fingers permitted!

ps -- You may want to have a trusted associate help you hold the large lower cowl piece as you maneuver it through the saw.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Default Also Try Diamond Dremel Wheel

For sharp radius, angles and non flat pieces etc. try the dremel diamond wheel. Cuts like butter.

Gary Eldridge
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM

The dremel with a small abrasive disk is the SUPERIOR tool for the fiberglass pieces!!! Also borrow or get a 4 inch bench mount belt sander - the kind where the belt is horizontal with the rounded end exposed. You can very easily make straight and curved lines right up to the scribe line with great control and much faster than hand sanding. I think you have better control with the big pieces using it than a saw. Use coarse paper.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 AM

Fibreglass is very abrasive and hard on band saw blades. Extended use will quickly take the edge off steel blades and drill bits.

Clive Whittfield
Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 AM

Make sure you wear a dust mask or respirator when working with fiberglass. The fiberglass dust is now classified as a potential carcinogenic. Do the work outside if you can and avoid bringing dusty clothes into your house. If you use an airhose to blow the dust out of the shop wear a mask. It is better to use a vacuum with a good fine particle filter, but wear a mask also.

Last edited by Geico266 : 03-12-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM

I forgot to mention in my initial post that one of the benefits of using my band saw for these cuts was that I could easily hook up my shop vacuum to the band saw and vacuum away most of the fiberglass dust while cutting. Always use a mask -- that fiberglass dust is nasty stuff. I agree that the Dremel tool with cutting wheel works -- especially for the curvy cuts.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Perma-Grit Tools are made of Tungsten Carbide Grit. These cut through fiberglass like it isn't even there. And they last unlike the dremel disks.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...arycutting.php
PN:12-00069

Europa XS - Building one now
Europa Classic - Helped build, SN-111

Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Anyone tried to use the dremel vacuum powered cutter that vacuums up dust and is powered by a shop vacuum to trim the engine cowling?

Jeff
Old 03-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Default structured carbide bits

I used MANY of these Structured Carbide Bits when building my fiberglass airplane. You can use the long, pointy 9935 like a roto-zip tool. They work great!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillik 747 View Post
Perma-Grit Tools are made of Tungsten Carbide Grit. These cut through fiberglass like it isn't even there. And they last unlike the dremel disks.
Good to know! I destroyed about 6 Dremel disks this past weekend working on the wing tips.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Avionics and FF underway!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2017 donation happily made