- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Question Its all in the details!

Next time use a heat gun and warm that plastic hose up as much as necessary. The brass insert helps to stabilize the plastic hose cause when you tighten the nut onto the elbow it crushes the brass sleeve onto the plastic hose making a nice seal. So if you have the brass insert pushed in to where you have stated then it will probably work ok. This statement is based on the authors personal experiences and other opinions may very. As a reminder there has been a lot of discussion about using thread sealant on the connections so you might want to research that. I'm not sure what you have available in Australia
900 Hours as of 3/10/2017
Jetguy@att.net
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the insert is meant to be completely flush with the end of the plastic tube, or just pushed in until the base of the lip contacts the the tube. Some of mine pushed in a little more easily and are flush. Others were more difficult (none were easy), and the lip or part of it is visible. Which is correct or doesn't it matter?
The purpose of the insert is to prevent the nylon tube from collapsing when it is squeezed by the compressed sleeve. So the insert needs to be completely inside of the sleeve when assembled. Plus or minus one millimeter is not going to make much difference. The lip of the insert does not have to be inside of the nylon tube. I have had success stopping leaks (in non-aircraft applications) by wrapping the sleeve with Teflon tape.
Joe Gores
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
The purpose of the insert is to prevent the nylon tube from collapsing when it is squeezed by the compressed sleeve. So the insert needs to be completely inside of the sleeve when assembled. Plus or minus one millimeter is not going to make much difference. The lip of the insert does not have to be inside of the nylon tube. I have had success stopping leaks (in non-aircraft applications) by wrapping the sleeve with Teflon tape.
Joe Gores
Thanks Joe. That answers the question.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
Next time use a heat gun and warm that plastic hose up as much as necessary. The brass insert helps to stabilize the plastic hose cause when you tighten the nut onto the elbow it crushes the brass sleeve onto the plastic hose making a nice seal. So if you have the brass insert pushed in to where you have stated then it will probably work ok. This statement is based on the authors personal experiences and other opinions may very. As a reminder there has been a lot of discussion about using thread sealant on the connections so you might want to research that. I'm not sure what you have available in Australia
Thanks John. Should be good to go with the inserts then. I'm using Loctite 567 on the threads.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
They mean up against the end of the tube. I found boiling water did not help a bit actually, so adopted the "push it in" tactic. Worked very well for me and my size tubing. It needs some force to push it in, but up against a solid surface it was not too bad.
`Some force' is right Don. My solid surface has got little circle impressions in it.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:39 AM

Default Brake Line brass insert

I just did this today. My experience was this: If you try to put the compression ring on at the 1/8th inch mark, then try to push in the brass insert (after putting the tip in boiling water of course), YOU CANNOT GET THE INSERT ALL THE WAY IN. However, if you push the nut and compression ring way back, and then boil, with strong fingers you will have no problem getting the insert seated all the way in pushing against a hard surface. THEN you can pull your nut and ring up to the 1/8th inch mark with a bit of hard pulling and you're done.
Kit #120-666 "The number of the beast"
2016 =VAF= dues paid
http://kevinsrv12build.blogspot.com