- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Default No quite the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_John View Post
I was the first known participant in the program.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-...-up-for-safety
I didn't bring anyone along until after the first 8 hours.
After that, I leaned on the knowledge of my peers for coming up to speed on the advanced functions of the G3X system like the GTN 650 and autopilot.
Your needs might be different. It is a GREAT program! As I recall, it is standard language in the OPLIMS (can someone confirm?) now. Your DAR might not have an option to include or exclude it. It is just a matter of your compliance with it... ie. aircraft equipment and pilot qualifications.
Have fun testing!
CJ
Actually, I issued an airworthiness certificate to an RV-9, N369RV, on October 4, 2014 with the inclusion of AC 91-116.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Good info

Thanks guys for the feedback on your experience with the program, and the glass cockpit comments (which is what i have...skyview). Looking forward to updating you all in a few months when we are ready to start testing.

I wonder if the Faa has published test stats on two pilot testing vs. the traditional approach.....or if there is enough data at this point to do a sampling.

So it does sound like the Dar needs to signs you off with the ac 90-116 then.....so need to find a DAR that is open to this appoach to
Flight testing phase 1.

Paul
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph1974 View Post
So it does sound like the Dar needs to signs you off with the ac 90-116 then.....so need to find a DAR that is open to this appoach to
Flight testing phase 1.

Paul
Mel or Vic can confirm, but I think it is automatically included in the Ops Lims these days. It was when we did our Tundra about a year ago with the FSDO inspector - he was surprised when I pointed it out, because he didn't know about the APP.....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Mel or Vic can confirm, but I think it is automatically included in the Ops Lims these days. It was when we did our Tundra about a year ago with the FSDO inspector - he was surprised when I pointed it out, because he didn't know about the APP.....
Paul
That paragraph is standard in all experimental amateur-built operating limitations issued since it became effective in October of 2014.

"Unless operating in accordance with AC 90-116, Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Test, only the minimum crew necessary to fly the aircraft during normal operations may be on board. (36)"
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Along those lines, a statistic I've seen is that about a third of homebuilts involved in accidents these days have glass cockpits. And as an old user interface designer, and having worked my way up a hefty learning curve with little assistance, I can understand why.

One concept that needs to come to fruition is to have experimental avionics training available in the same way that experimental airframe training is available with an LODA. Hey, I can teach people to use a Garmin G3X touch system in my RV-9A and that will be valuable to them in whatever they fly, RV or not, even if they never touch the flight controls of the -9A. But as often happens, the rules haven't yet caught up with the new reality.

Meantime, I can give ground instruction on the G3X and not worry about insurance... hook up the ground power and roll the plane out of the hangar.

Ed
Yes, play with the EFIS incessantly and familiarize yourself with it on the ground. Also, declutter it as much as possible for the first flights...you can add more info later.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Watch for my column in the upcoming June issue of KP by yours truly on how to prepare yourself for distractions on first flights. Hopefully , you will find it of value, and certainly pertinent to this discussion.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 03-18-2017, 01:01 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Watch for my column in the upcoming June issue of KP by yours truly on how to prepare yourself for distractions on first flights. Hopefully , you will find it of value, and certainly pertinent to this discussion.

Vic
The picture alone is worth the price of the magazine!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Actually, I issued an airworthiness certificate to an RV-9, N369RV, on October 4, 2014 with the inclusion of AC 91-116.
Mel, I guess that you were the first UNKNOWN issuance then!

Lol

Seriously, I was wondering if I were really the first.

CJ
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
... statistic I've seen is that about a third of homebuilts involved in accidents these days have glass cockpits. ..... Ed
Put another way, 2/3 have round gauges. This statistic alone suggests glass cockpits are better. .... But of course it's also true that 100% of people who ate pickles in 1865 (at the end of the American civil war) have died, so avoid eating pickles at all cost.
Fuse - complete (12/2015)
Wings - complete (5/2013)
Empennage - complete (7/2011)
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Along those lines, a statistic I've seen is that about a third of homebuilts involved in accidents these days have glass cockpits. And as an old user interface designer, and having worked my way up a hefty learning curve with little assistance, I can understand why.
That statistic alone is meaningless, just like the one that came out a while ago that said certified aircraft with glass have a higher accident rate. It's like saying "the majority of airplanes involved in crashes have propellers" and thereby concluding that propellers are a causative factor in those accidents. There are a bunch of other things that could be at play--type of aircraft and use of aircraft (VFR vs IFR) for instance--and what matters is if the accident cause has anything to do with the glass at all. Comparing the accident rates of high-performance airplanes flying actual IFR to steam-equipped day VFR trainers and fun flyers would be a red herring.