VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Wire pathway past F633

How did you route wiring through the snap bushing on the forward end of the seat ribs and get past F-633 Control Column Mounts?
It looks like you can pass wire into the space between the center spars then back out but not my favorite option.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Hi Larry. That one has always confused me too. You go to all the effort to drill some holes, that appear now to be essentially useless. Fortunately I got the thumbs up from Van's to drill another series of 5/8" holes about 7/8" from the floor and about 1 1/4" forward of the seat pan lip (or just aft of the stiffening bulge in the rib). It appears that even this isn't quite right as it conflicts slightly with the position of the roll trim servo, so it looks like I will have to drill a new access hole on the most onboard rib. Hindsight can be so cruel sometimes. Still interested though in how to get around the control column mounts. I am thinking a bit of flexible conduit that firmly fits these 5/8" holes, with sikaflex in both ends to doubly make sure it doesn't move. Start it at the rib just outboard of the control column mount, run it around the mount and into the hole on the rib on the inboard side. There appears to be room at all control angles for the conduit. Have the conduit under a slight bit of tension to stop vibrations and place another small dab of sikaflex between the conduit and the control column mount to further stop the chance of vibration.
Tom.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:10 PM

With exception to the two center holes, I did not use the forward snap bushing holes for that reason. I could see no good way to secure them from control interference.

Most of my wiring goes through different, smaller holes drilled aft of the sticks.
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Larry, you are right, that is a tight area for wires, hands and attachments for wires. I ran many behind the control corridor for this reason. It is tough to get a bundle to make a turn sharply out of the spar too. Also, risks for wire attachments that break loose.

I can take some pictures in a few days if they would help.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM

I got permission from Van's to drill an extra set of pass through holes through F-704s in the bay second in from the wing roots. They were very specific as to where the extra holes could be put. I then ran the wiring forward of the 704 before going aft. This was for the purpose of getting extra wiring to the wings and com antennas. I don't have a pic of this to share currently.

For stick trim wiring, I also added holes low and aft of the lightening holes in the seat ribs for trim wiring as seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0S...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Photos

Any photos appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 PM

Hi Larry,

Here's a link to Van's guidance as to where to drill additional holes in the spar web for cabling, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_R...Q0RzVodXc/view
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Avionics and FF underway!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2017 donation happily made
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Default Spar web

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Hi Larry,

Here's a link to Van's guidance as to where to drill additional holes in the spar web for cabling, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_R...Q0RzVodXc/view
Yep. I've got that. I'm trying to avoid it.
Disclaimer