- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Instrument access panel

I just finished doing the "access panel mod" to the forward baggage upper bulkhead. I did not find a lot of specific guidance about how folks accomplished this so I thought I would share how I did mine.

So if you want to see how to mess this simple project up - I have it documented on my Facebook "builder log".

I try to document all of my mistakes and recovery from mistakes. Comments and advice are always welcome.

Insert basic disclaimer here - I'm a second year student
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/

Last edited by SgtZim : 03-10-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Sure.

Looks good to me. We did much the same with no hinge or doubler, just screws all the way around the cutout. Once you get up and work most of the bugs out you will find you don't open it much at all, and if you are servicing the brakes are have the forward baggage panels out if you open that cover it will flop down in you way. Good job keep it up, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 PM

I did mine about the same as you. I left the hinge pin long enough so that I can pull it out and remove the door if necessary. That's the plan, but I don't have the top skin on yet so I'm not sure it will work.

Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2016
Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni View Post
I did mine about the same as you. I left the hinge pin long enough so that I can pull it out and remove the door if necessary. That's the plan, but I don't have the top skin on yet so I'm not sure it will work.

Both projects look good! The door access makes it really nice when doing inspections, trouble shooting etc.. I have mine open now doing some up-grades. I might suggest mounting your wiring connector bars or anything needing a screw driver to connect or disconnect to the door itself for even easier access. Once you get your hands, shop light, tools, half your head in there your still out of room to see! If I was doing it again I would.

Rod Estep
RV8 325 hrs
Dues paid
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Similar to others. Reinforced the cut out with a doubler and went heavier on the door itself. Forget thickness on these without going to the airport to check. Also found the hinged panel a good place to mount things. Easy to get at if needed.

Instrument panel and right side switch panels are also plug in making bench work possible. The hinged access from the forward baggage compartment is something I would not want to be without though - have used this a lot.

RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
In Phase 1
Dues paid thru Dec 22, 2017

Last edited by Champ : 03-13-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: reinserted photo
Old 03-11-2017, 09:15 PM

I checked out the photos of your project. Very nice work!! I've been flying mine since 08 and still have the RV grin. It's light, fast, and goes straight up. Have fun and keep up the good work. Hope to see it sometime.

Rod Estep
Barrett IO-360 FI
Hartzell CS
Electronic Steam Gauges
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 PM

Default INSTRUMENT PANEL ACCESS PORT VIA BAGGAGE AREA

Here's how I did it - pretty much like everyone else.

http://www.rv8.ch/instrument-panel-a...-baggage-area/

It's holding up great in my workshop with 0 hours of flying.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Looks good but I think you will have to do a cut out to clear the brace for the baggage door.
CLINTON N.C.
www.mykitlog.com/mwarren
Old 03-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Default A consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtZim View Post
I just finished doing the "access panel mod" to the forward baggage upper bulkhead. I did not find a lot of specific guidance about how folks accomplished this so I thought I would share how I did mine.

So if you want to see how to mess this simple project up - I have it documented on my Facebook "builder log".

I try to document all of my mistakes and recovery from mistakes. Comments and advice are always welcome.

Insert basic disclaimer here - I'm a second year student
Rather than use Phillip head screws in the panel, you might consider hex heads or try and find some thumb screws. If one head strips out in the far back side you might have a small problem removing it.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:20 AM

Default Another option

On my first RV-8A I added this access panel as it was a common recommendation from other builders. I found however that I never used it.

I made the panel so it is fully removable in about 5 minutes. With today's glass panel systems this is even easier. A couple of large pin molex connectors for power, 3-4 D pin connecorts for other stuff, and the majority of interpanel connections remain with the panel. Stuff that is not panel replaced get mounted on the panel wings and stay in the plane.

Pulling the panel at each annual also provided a lot of access that otherwise will have you head down and a$$ up under the panel.

Carl