VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 03-07-2017, 11:37 PM
Doyle231 Doyle231 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albury Australia
Posts: 26
Default Interior panels

Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out how I'll make some interior panels. I'm leaning toward some thin 2024 with foam glued on and then get a auto trimmer to cover them. Any help would be great. Can't really find any kits plus all our planes a little different. Any pics or pointers would be great.

James
Australia
__________________
RV4-0-320,C/S,967LBS
Light,simple and fast.
Just how vans designed it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 AM
fixnflyguy fixnflyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, N.C.
Posts: 778
Default What I did

Hello James,
I built interior panels for my -4 from .016 and .020 aluminum that cover all the cables, wiring and flap mechanisms, as well as incorporating arm rests. There are 4 panels that cover everything. I didn't use any foam or fabric covering to keep weight at a minimum. They are simply painted grey like the rest of the interior. Total weight is less than 5 lbs. including hardware. I would be glad to send you some pictures if you send me a PM with an email address.. I have gotten many compliments on the simplicity and function of the panels and they were not terribly hard to build.
__________________
Bill E.
RV-4/N76WE
41 Aeronca 65TC Defender
8A7 / Advance NC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Tomcat RV4 Tomcat RV4 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
Posts: 151
Default

I would also like photos as I was trying to figure out what to do ! Please use my e mail !
pvnyejag2@juno.com THANKS A BUNCH Tom
__________________
Tomcat RV4
dues paid and worth every penny
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
springer springer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ/MN
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle231 View Post
Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out how I'll make some interior panels. I'm leaning toward some thin 2024 with foam glued on and then get a auto trimmer to cover them. Any help would be great. Can't really find any kits plus all our planes a little different. Any pics or pointers would be great.

James
Australia
How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....



__________________
Jim
RV-4 '88-'09 Built & Sold
RV-8 Purchased
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Michael White's Avatar
Michael White Michael White is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cartersville, Georgia KVPC
Posts: 897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....



If you're going to use carpet, PLEASE make sure you use the right carpet. Some carpets burn faster and smoke more than others, which could ruin your day...

Here's an old thread (no pun intended...but I'll take it!) on the subject: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ead.php?t=5821

Kyle is still very active on the forums...perhaps he'll chime in with some newer recommendations?
__________________
Moose
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 PM
rodeja rodeja is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael White View Post
If you're going to use carpet, PLEASE make sure you use the right carpet. Some carpets burn faster and smoke more than others, which could ruin your day...

Here's an old thread (no pun intended...but I'll take it!) on the subject: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ead.php?t=5821

Kyle is still very active on the forums...perhaps he'll chime in with some newer recommendations?
I'm sure someone with more experience will speak up but I would caution glueing to aluminum as it might cause corrosion in time. I saw it in a Luscombe resto where the interior of the doors were badly corroded under the glue. It might only be a matter of using the correct glue.
__________________
Ron J
RV9 - Bought
160 HP 0-320
#90899
C-FTJE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2017, 05:07 PM
nilberg nilberg is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....



I might show my age here, but do I see a car stereo unit with a cassette player at the bottom in front of the stick ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 PM
springer springer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ/MN
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
I might show my age here, but do I see a car stereo unit with a cassette player at the bottom in front of the stick ?
Yep, the latest and greatest in stereophonic sound when finished in '88.
__________________
Jim
RV-4 '88-'09 Built & Sold
RV-8 Purchased
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.