Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-07-2017, 11:37 PM

Default Interior panels

Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out how I'll make some interior panels. I'm leaning toward some thin 2024 with foam glued on and then get a auto trimmer to cover them. Any help would be great. Can't really find any kits plus all our planes a little different. Any pics or pointers would be great.

James
Australia
Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 AM

Default What I did

Hello James,
I built interior panels for my -4 from .016 and .020 aluminum that cover all the cables, wiring and flap mechanisms, as well as incorporating arm rests. There are 4 panels that cover everything. I didn't use any foam or fabric covering to keep weight at a minimum. They are simply painted grey like the rest of the interior. Total weight is less than 5 lbs. including hardware. I would be glad to send you some pictures if you send me a PM with an email address.. I have gotten many compliments on the simplicity and function of the panels and they were not terribly hard to build.
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM

I would also like photos as I was trying to figure out what to do ! Please use my e mail !
pvnyejag2@juno.com THANKS A BUNCH Tom
Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle231 View Post
Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out how I'll make some interior panels. I'm leaning toward some thin 2024 with foam glued on and then get a auto trimmer to cover them. Any help would be great. Can't really find any kits plus all our planes a little different. Any pics or pointers would be great.

James
Australia
How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....

Old 03-09-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....

If you're going to use carpet, PLEASE make sure you use the right carpet. Some carpets burn faster and smoke more than others, which could ruin your day...

Here's an old thread (no pun intended...but I'll take it!) on the subject: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ead.php?t=5821

Kyle is still very active on the forums...perhaps he'll chime in with some newer recommendations?
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved
Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael White View Post
If you're going to use carpet, PLEASE make sure you use the right carpet. Some carpets burn faster and smoke more than others, which could ruin your day...

Here's an old thread (no pun intended...but I'll take it!) on the subject: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ead.php?t=5821

Kyle is still very active on the forums...perhaps he'll chime in with some newer recommendations?
I'm sure someone with more experience will speak up but I would caution glueing to aluminum as it might cause corrosion in time. I saw it in a Luscombe resto where the interior of the doors were badly corroded under the glue. It might only be a matter of using the correct glue.
C-FTJE
Old 03-09-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

I might show my age here, but do I see a car stereo unit with a cassette player at the bottom in front of the stick ?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
I might show my age here, but do I see a car stereo unit with a cassette player at the bottom in front of the stick ?
Yep, the latest and greatest in stereophonic sound when finished in '88.