Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpick23 View Post
I have been flying my -12 here in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin for over 200 hrs (at times the temps well below freezing- like this morning when OAT at 5500 was 0 degrees F) and not one incident of carb ice- I love this little engine! You treat it nice- it treats you nice!

Dave
Did your cabin heater make a difference?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotscam View Post
I have been looking at the Skydrive system already, but the space is pretty cramped at the right side due to the oil tank and hoses. But if you get it in..
The beauty is fluid cooling.. Sounds good..
I have a system similar to the Skydrive on my Rotax which had 60 hours on it from my other plane. I left it on since there is no drop in performance, when I installed the Rotax in my RV12.

david@rv12pilot.com
2017 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Default Carb ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Did your cabin heater make a difference?
I made a aluminum baffle that I slip into the gap between the radiator and the seal (copied one someone had posted ) and it helps- can move the CHTs from 140s to 170s on a cold day like this weekend and allow some heat into the cockpit- when OAT is below 10F, it does not get very warm.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Default CABIN HEAT - -

I flew Saturday morning, and it was about 18 degrees on the ground, and colder at Alt. With my "Heater Damper Door" system, I run the CHT's up to 205 - 210 degrees to get some real heat. Best mod for comfort in colder climates. I would have to believe that running the engine as warm as I do in cold weather, it helps with no carb ice.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )
Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Somewhere in the past I remember reading that carb icing is most likely at temperatures near but above freezing in high humidity. In really cold temperatures (below freezing) there usually isn't enough moisture in the air to make carb icing an issue. In practice I always applied carb heat in the Cessna 150/152 when reducing to idle, and I always apply it in IMC on my Cherokee.