VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Canopy Attachment Meathod

Has anyone used Sikaflex to attach the canopy on a 14? If so, any advice?
Old 03-06-2017, 03:53 PM

I just did my canopy and i have to say, It went very smooth with the screws. As long as you use a dull drill bit you will have no problems with drilling the canopy. One thing to consider before using sicaflex is what do you do with the pre drilled holes in the skins. I assume you just let the glue ooze out of the holes and grind it down after it dries. However i cant imagine the glue staying inside a #30 hole in a .025" thick skin. In a couple years i would expect it to crack and fall out. I have dealt with some good glues designed for use on aluminum but none of them are that good.
wings almost done
canopy done
Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 AM

The side skirts could be easily remanufactured without the screw holes. Nothing complex there.
I intend to follow plans and screw were recommended. A question I have for those that have completed this step is there a need to run some sealant between the side skirts and plexi or can you just rely on the channelling to drain any moisture flying or on ground.
Thanks
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:54 AM

Default Sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by salto View Post
The side skirts could be easily remanufactured without the screw holes. Nothing complex there.
I intend to follow plans and screw were recommended. A question I have for those that have completed this step is there a need to run some sealant between the side skirts and plexi or can you just rely on the channelling to drain any moisture flying or on ground.
Thanks
I do not know for certain that sealant is needed, but I did in fact use some. The other thing to consider is to be certain to oversize the holes in the plexiglass and not torque the screws any more than required. You need to have the plexi expand and contract within the frame.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
In Phase 1
Old 03-07-2017, 06:57 AM

I did not put any sealant between the glass and retainers. After the canopy and back window were finished, I applied an edge seal around the perimeter. Just mask aprox an 1/8 in onto the window and mask the edge of the metal next to the window. Mix up some sealer and apply it with a popsicle stick. Use soapy water or spit to smooth the edge seal then peel your tape.
wings almost done
canopy done
Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorspwr View Post
I just did my canopy and i have to say, It went very smooth with the screws. As long as you use a dull drill bit you will have no problems with drilling the canopy. One thing to consider before using sicaflex is what do you do with the pre drilled holes in the skins. I assume you just let the glue ooze out of the holes and grind it down after it dries. However i cant imagine the glue staying inside a #30 hole in a .025" thick skin. In a couple years i would expect it to crack and fall out. I have dealt with some good glues designed for use on aluminum but none of them are that good.
Sika doesn't harden, so no cracks.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM

I used Sikaflex on my RV-14A - it took a lot of planning but I'm quite pleased with the results. I would do it again.

My primary resources were the blogs by Bruce Hill (RV-9A) at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project and Bruce Swayze (RV-7A) at http://www.europa.com/~swayze/index.html.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, Phase I compl Apr 3, 2017
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2016