Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM

The way I figure is; If I can afford an airplane, I can afford the Avgas. When the day comes I can't, I'll go back to motorcycles and Mogas.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEDSALL View Post
Is it possible that the engine vibration caused both brake calipers to leak?
Positively no.

Either a previous mechanic installed the pistons backwards, or (more likely) you overheated the calipers during your taxi tests to determine fuel performance, which bakes the factory-installed nitrile o-rings. When (not if) you remove the pistons to replace the o-rings, their condition will tell the tale.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:40 AM

No problems running 91+ no alcohol MoGas. Initially was a Lyclone O-360 with gascolator on the firewall. Changed the same Engine to Bendix fuel injection/IO-360, eliminated the gascolator and placed a cooling shroud around the fuel pump.
A fuel filter is now behind the firewall and water is sumped at the tank drains.

Never have had the first problem with either configuration in 350 hours.

A friend did have problems with winter blend left over on a very warm 90 degee day. It would run OK if he left his electric pump running. We think it likely was fuel vaporizing in the gascolator or a very small air leak in the fuel system
Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 AM

100+ hours on straight 91E10 here with almost zero problems. I say "almost" zero, because hot starts on the winter mix are sometimes interesting. I am planning to install the Airflow Performance purge valve to completely eliminate that issue, but as far as engine performance goes, zero problems.

No gascolator, no engine-driven fuel pump.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
The way I figure is; If I can afford an airplane, I can afford the Avgas. When the day comes I can't, I'll go back to motorcycles and Mogas.
Infidel,
I second this, and could not agree more with you. Avgas factored in when I made the decision to purchase. When my life depends on it, I don't take chances with other fuels.
Fredericksburg, VA

VAF Dues Gladly Paid Despite the Waiver! Thanks Doug!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Infidel,
I second this, and could not agree more with you. Avgas factored in when I made the decision to purchase. When my life depends on it, I don't take chances with other fuels.
How you spend your money is up to you and is no one else's business.

Using mogas has never been about the money for me but the ability to use an alternative to 100LL. Let's face it, Tetraethyl lead (TEL) is a very nasty compound and in a low compression engine does more harm than good.

Thousands of mogas STC's were issued and blessed by the FAA and successfully applied to a large variety of aircraft. I know the addition of ethanol has put an end to those STCs for certified aircraft. I am also aware that a number of ethanol related problems occurred when ethanol was first added to mogas.
All of those problems have been resolved and today, hundreds if not thousands of experimentals fly on mogas without any issues.
You'll find a great number of fuel related aircraft accident data involving the use of avgas (or the lack thereof) and very few accidents, if any, directly related to the use of mogas.
My life depends on it too.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 PM

I'll pitch in with Ernst on this one. After a decade of flying mogas almost exclusively, I can say I have had zero problems with it. I have had troubles with 100LL - my engine simply doesn't seem to like the stuff and has had troubles idling when using 100LL.

Yes, the economics of mogas are a contributor to why I can fly as much as I do; around here, a 30 gallon fillup of mogas costs about the same as only 20 gallons of 100LL. That's quite a large difference. The new aircraft we are building has been equipped specifically to allow on-going use of 91 octane mogas.

To each his or her own. To slam mogas because one has personally chosen to use 100LL is a reaction based on emotion rather than an analysis of facts.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 AM

I've got the Superior XP. It is supposed to like mogas but, it doesn't. In fact, I tried it a couple times and it just sputters and farts. That was using the winter blend. As others have posted, that's probably the issue.

I suspect it is mogas intolerant (lactaid???). I've just decided to stick with 100LL and not worry about it!

Jim
Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Default Same problem as OP

Quote:
I've got the Superior XP. It is supposed to like mogas but, it doesn't. In fact, I tried it a couple times and it just sputters and farts.
This is the most widely encountered problem when using mogas and a misconception that results in people just giving up.

Most low compression engines, 8:1 or less and preferably fuel injected are perfectly happy running on mogas, 91 or better 93 E10 or straight.

It is the fuel system that needs the attention, more details than I want to get into it but generally speaking, if you boil the fuel before it gets to the injection controller or carburetor, the problem is with your fuel system. Do whatever you can to keep your fuel cool.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:02 PM

Like with EFII