- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > Rocket
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Question RV-8 TAIL ASSY ON A ROCKET

Hello Gents

Any harm in installing a RV-8 Tail assy on a Rocket?? I know of one and was wondering if there might be any do's & don'ts..

Thanks

Bruno
Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Which Rocket?........................................... ............................................

Milt Concannon
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 AM

Default 8 tail

Bob Mills put one on his Rocket 6
Dues paid 2017
Dan "Nordo" West
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 AM

I didn't build it, but my Rocket has an -8 tail.

I understand from Mr. Mills that the taller tail is a speed penalty. Out of concerns over the higher speed of the Rocket and potential susceptibility to flutter, I also removed the rudder trim tab the builder installed. It was quite sloppy and I have not missed it one bit.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work

Last edited by Toobuilder : 03-05-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up RV-8 TAIL ON A ROCKET

Milt

It is a HR 2, it looks good on the airplane but was wondering if it could affect the aircraft in any way...

Bruno
Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 AM

Default I have a RV8 empennage fairing on my Super Six too

When I built my Super Six (sister ship to bob Mills) I had an unused RV 8 empennage and installed it during the build. Has worked perfect for 1250 hours. I not sure if Bob has an RV 7 or 8 empennage on his 6.

Steve
Old 03-05-2017, 11:32 AM

I built two HRIIs using the RV8 tail. They fit fine and I used the 8 tail for two reasons. It was easier to build then the 4 tail and also it had a counterbalanced fin. I have not flown a HRII with a RV4 tail but my RV4 had, at times, a tail wags the dog kind of yaw situation. My rockets with the 8 tail did not have this syndrome. That is the good news.
On the negative side:
The 8 tail is heavier and we really do not want that extra weight back there.
Also the elevators on the 8 are adequate but a wider chord would be better. I could run out of trim in some loading conditions and I wonder how well the plane would fly in an engine out scenario.
Although I never made any measurements I wonder if the RV7 elevators would work on the 8 stab?
While building the 8 tail I would recommend reinforcing the forward VS attach point as well as the forward HS stab spar. My HRIIs had stock engines and were fine with the stock tail, however if you plan on higher speeds be aware that you may be in uncharted territory.

It is great to see some renewed interest in Rockets. They are a joy to fly and I can hardly wait for spring weather!
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Tail Wags the dog

That is normally an issue with the folded trailing edge skins. I had a hangar neighbor years ago with a then brand new RV4 and it was a pretty significant issue based on his description. I looked at it and the skin at the trailing edge was bulged out significantly. I told him to squeeze the trailing edges and he said the problem went away. This discussion seems to come up repeatedly.
Once again I recommend Barnaby Wainfans excellent article on this subject a few years ago in Kitplanes.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Default It will fit but...

I would suggest a few beef-ups to stiffen the structure for Rocket speeds - make your own .040 spars for example. Also the elevs are a bit on the small side, as obvious on a 200HP/metal prop RV8. It won't 3-point solo without some ballast (I suggest a 120lb PAX in the back seat - possibly one on the female side of things) or 1/2 flap, but to some that characteristic is not a problem.

Other than that, it fits up fine! Use 1"X1" angle at the H Stab fwd spar attach in the fuselage at the #10 bulkhead (under the aft deck plate). There is more to the aft fuselage story...

Remember the airframe Vne is a TAS number.

Carry on!
Mark
Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
That is normally an issue with the folded trailing edge skins. I had a hangar neighbor years ago with a then brand new RV4 and it was a pretty significant issue based on his description. I looked at it and the skin at the trailing edge was bulged out significantly. I told him to squeeze the trailing edges and he said the problem went away. This discussion seems to come up repeatedly.
Once again I recommend Barnaby Wainfans excellent article on this subject a few years ago in Kitplanes.
Wait! Don't confuse a dutch-roll yaw oscillation with a vague or bi-stable rudder issue. Two very different things. A poorly formed trailing edge will cause the latter, but not the former.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 420 in 7 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane