- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 PM

Default harmon rocket II question

Why is the redline 275mph and the gross weight 2000lbs since the hrII is based on an rv4?
rv-4 (complete) O360 EFII
DAR sign off May 5th 2016, thanks Mel
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=114793
CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
dues paid 3/16 - Jackson and Lincoln in the mail
Old 02-28-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Van is a smart conservative engineer..

As an experimental designer/builder, any number can be applied based on testing,design history, ect. I believe Van to be a smart, conservative engineer/designer/pilot. By utilizing testing, engineering, and also human factor margin of error(building and flying), a conservative assignment of V speed recomendation yields a lower risk factor in the long run. This is just my view, but I believe its pretty accurate.
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 02-28-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4dude17 View Post
Why is the redline 275mph and the gross weight 2000lbs since the hrII is based on an rv4?
Think of it as an entirely different airplane that happens to use some RV-4 parts
Fisher Classic Cassler Power VW
RV-8 700+hrs Borrowed
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

VAF dues reminder June '17
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 AM

The aft fuselage, from the passenger backrest aft, is pretty much stock RV4. Forward of that everything changes to heavier skins, larger angles, heavier gear mounts, titanium gear legs etc. The wings are shorter but use the same number of ribs. It is a much heavier aircraft then the RV4. John Harmon, the original designer tested the aircraft to these speeds. Over the years the aircraft evolved into the F1 rocket, the design upgraded by Mark Fredrick, with parts manufactured in the Czech Republic. A much nicer kit to put together but the $exchange got out of hand. A few EVO rockets were made, 20 or 30?, of which I have one.
Recently Vince Frazier has started to offer some parts that will make the F1 a possibility again.
Great airplanes, I will never understand why there are not thousands of them flying?
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 AM

Me either! But for the record, I believe it is accurate to say that Mark Fredericks has hauled the Vne on the F1 Rocket back to 250 KTAS for safety's sake as regards flutter.

This is the only reason mine isn't flying at the moment:

F1 Rocket #160 flying

Last edited by logansc : 02-28-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 AM

I'm not suggesting this, but has anyone ever taken a stock RV-4 up to rocket speeds? The fastest that I have taken mine was 195 knots (playing around, and when I noticed the speed, pulled power and pulled up to get rid of the speed).
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360 200HP
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Much the same reason the RV-4 has a higher weight and redline than the Stits Playboy... Because the designer of the new and improved version has made the required modifications to the structure and accomplished the testing to verify.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Default Weight a minute...

Quote:
If my memory is correct, the max gross on the HR2 was/is 1850lbs? The F1 is 2000lbs, but that was allowed after the Czech engineer had a look at the structure..

Keep in mind: the HR2 and F1 Vne is a TAS number: 240KTAS of 275MPH TAS. Pushing over from 12500' and leaving the power up can get you in trouble VERY quickly. I have heard confessions of folks doing this, and the speeds they reached...well... put them in the Advanced Test Pilot category.

Carry on!
Mark
Old 02-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Bigger, thicker, stronger?

Quote:
Spence,
I built an RV4 in the 80's and flew it 1000 hours. I later bought a flying HR2. I'm not an AE but my friend "KK" is. (designer of the RV10) He enlightened me on several key Rocket-ism's a few years ago.
History: My HR2 was an early one, Bakersfield Bunch built with John Harmon assisting the build when he could. After extensive experience with my RV4, the HR2 was the Four, personified.

The HR2 structure, though RV4 based is structurally superior in 2 key areas.
1. Forward fuselage (fwd of f40) structure is .040.
2. Wings are 19" shorter, effectively increasing wing loading which accounts partially for the increase in VNE. My HR2 has a single piece top wing skin.
The VNE was based on flutter calculations and tested by a qualified test pilot with John Harmon's prototype HR2.

My take on all of it is simple: The canopy rail has Experimental written on the side, treat it accordingly...
V/R
Smokey

PS: Having spoken personally with John Harmon over dinner a few years ago, he consulted an engineer during design of the HR2 and had a test pilot confirm data on subsequent test flights verifying the HR2's structural integrity.

Last edited by smokyray : 02-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 AM

All good info from Tom, Mark, and others.

For more info on what is available NOW, please visit www.f1aircraft.com

We update that site regularly. Very recently, we received some of the new bulkhead parts from the vendor. Made in the U.S. and a bit more expensive, they are perfectly formed with no lumps or bumps to rework. We can't wait to get the rest of them!

More info on the website. Please view it before bombarding the list with questions.
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold