- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Default X2 on the reamers

I used #30 and #40 reamers extensively for final drilling. They leave nice round, burr-free (almost) holes. I also got a .375 piloted reamer in addition to the .311 but I'm away from home and I can't remember where it was used. I didn't see plexi-bits mentioned in this thread. You need 30, 40, and a 27 size at least. See section 38 for where you'll need them. Lots of plexiglass threads that cover drilling, countersinking and deburring in the forums. Also, fiberglass eats drill bits so plan for that also.
T-Bolt IO-390
Maule MX7-180
Old 02-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Piloted reamer

James,

You mention the .375 and .311 reamers, which are on the list, but that you have a piloted reamer. Do you recall where you found that and whether the pilot helped or was needed?
RV-14 #140212
2017 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ
Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Reamers

Ray,

Just got home a took a look. My .375 is completely straight flute. No pilot..so I lied about that. I believe I got it from Brown Tools but it could have been Cleveland since I buy from both. The .311 I got from a neighbor and it does have a stepped tip - probably about a 1/4 inch that transitions to the .311. I don't know the source. Sorry if my previous comment was misleading, and no I don't think a piloted reamer is necessarily superior. The un-piloted .375 worked great on the firewall. No problem getting it to center on the hole. Hope this helps.
T-Bolt IO-390
Maule MX7-180
Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Get some 6 and 12" Numbers 30 and 40 drill bits, in addition to a complete set of numbered bits. Buy some reamers of the appropriate size, an angle bit adaptor for your drill, and some other things.

Not to worry, you will be buying a new tool every week or two until you are finished with your project.

Remember, if you get to a point where you don't have the right tool for the job, grab a beer, and head to the computer and order the correct tool. If you don't, you will bugger up the part you are working on, order the tool and a replacement part and wait for them to arrive and then spend a few hours remaking / fitting the part you buggered up.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Thanks, guys. My order of bits and reamers from McMaster-Carr arrives tomorrow. It's not totally complete but gets me close to all I should need when I add the Harbor Freight set.
RV-14 #140212
2017 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ