- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Drill bits needed for the -14

Getting the tools together for my QB -14 kit which will arrive soon. I'm comparing the tool list on pages 03-02 through 03-04 of the plans with the list of Van's website (http://vansaircraft.com/public/tools.htm). Quite a disparity there in the drill bits required. The website list seems quite limited in comparison and would seem to be insufficient (really, only five sizes?!).
RV-14 QB #140212
VS done (by previous builder)
Rudder started
2017 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ
Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Sizes that come to mind. #40, #30, #33 X 6" , #19,#20, #12, #27, 1/4" 3/16" , 5/16" and 3/8".
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Easy

I would just buy a number and fractional drill set to start. Then buy extras of the 5 sizes that are listed. But buy good quality sets.
You are going to need some smaller sizes as a guide hole when drilling out rivets and for tapping, etc

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 02-25-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Hi Ray,

This is just a FWIW, but I limped along for decades with a very small set of bits, occasionally buying special purpose bits needed for various projects. I've always done my own auto, home, electronics, etc maintenance, and I've wasted a lot of time that way.

Not long after I started my -7, I discovered that Harbor Freight offers this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-...set-61543.html

I've had that set for over a decade, and they stood up well drilling aluminum, until I started using the bits on really tough stuff like stainless and hardened steel, and for other 'odd jobs' around the house & hangar/shop.

Several years ago, I bought this set:
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-...set-61886.html

I haven't used them a lot, but they do seem like pretty decent bits for the money.

I mention them because, especially with the less expensive set, you'll have any size you're likely to need for not much more money than buying ones & twos of specific bits.

For the highly repetitive jobs (#30 & #40, for instance), it's worthwhile to get a handful of quality bits from a reputable supplier, of course.

The inexpensive sets of 'step bits' from HF also do a decent job in aluminum sheet, and a tolerable job for those rare cases where you need a big hole in stainless (firewall, for instance).

Charlie
Old 02-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
Sizes that come to mind. #40, #30, #33 X 6" , #19,#20, #12, #27, 1/4" 3/16" , 5/16" and 3/8".
Plus 33, 34, 21, 1/8, 7/16, 17, I'm sure others
RV14A #83
Wings, empennage and fuselage completed
Finish kit in progress
Old 02-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
For the highly repetitive jobs (#30 & #40, for instance), it's worthwhile to get a handful of quality bits from a reputable supplier, of course.
I'm putting together a McMaster-Carr order and have a dozen of each in the shopping cart. May add a couple each of the sizes that others have mentioned. The second HF fractional & numbered set is a temptation as a good backup for other sizes, especially if I can use one of their coupons.

What's a good source for the 12" bits? McMaster has 12" fractional sizes but not numbered that I can find. Cleaveland doesn't show an image of their 12" bits. I'd prefer a long shank with a short drilling depth. Just seems to me that they would hold up better.
RV-14 QB #140212
Rudder started
2017 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 PM

Default Reamers

I have the HF set. It works fine but the more heavily used bits have been replaced with higher quality bits. However, in my case, every hole is final drilled with a reamer. I highly recommend buying guide a reamer of the more commonly used sizes. #40, #30, #19, #12, 3/16", 1/4" and the oddball, .311".
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:14 PM

Maybe I drill out more rivets than most, but I also like a #43 for drilling AN3 rivets and #33 for drilling out AN4 rivets. (I drill the heads with #40/#30, snap them off with a punch, then drill the rivet shaft with #43/#33).

There are also call outs in the plans several others - #17 and #34 come to mind. The Harbor Freight set filled the need.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, Phase I compl Apr 3, 2017
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2016
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Default Brown tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreFlyr View Post
I'm putting together a McMaster-Carr order and have a dozen of each in the shopping cart. May add a couple each of the sizes that others have mentioned. The second HF fractional & numbered set is a temptation as a good backup for other sizes, especially if I can use one of their coupons.

What's a good source for the 12" bits? McMaster has 12" fractional sizes but not numbered that I can find. Cleaveland doesn't show an image of their 12" bits. I'd prefer a long shank with a short drilling depth. Just seems to me that they would hold up better.
Brown Tools ( A VAF advertiser) has all the different bits you would ever want. Try them.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 AM

Lots of good information here, guys. Thanks a bunch! Larry, thanks for the reamer idea. I've seen that mentioned before (perhaps by you). I'll look into it.
RV-14 QB #140212
Rudder started
2017 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ