- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Default N705BC Airborne Today!

After two months worth of weather delays, etc. my RV-7A N705BC took flight today. I received transition training from Dave Austin out of Denton, Texas who did a phenomenal job showing me the ropes. I highly recommend Dave as he is a calm voice in the face of information overload and unusual attitudes. Seriously, he has been one of the most patient and effective instructors that I have had.

The plane flew beautifully, no squawks other than it will probably need a small trim tab on the rudder due to the fact that "yours truly" nailed the vertical stab straight down the fuselage centerline rather than offsetting the leading edge 1/4" left of center. I read the instructions after the fact. Really not too big of deal but with 200hp on takeoff, a lot of right rudder is needed.

I started the project in 2004 with a really slow build. Building was so much fun and flying is just icing on the cake! I learned a lot and plan on building a 777 for my next project now that I know so much! 😜

Much thanks to God who gave me much grace to do this (my nose art will say "by the grace of God"). Much thanks to my family and friends in which everyone pitched in with a helping hand at one time or another. Much love to my wife who loved me enough to let me spend many days and nights at the hangar. Many handshakes for those on VAF that provided tips, advice, and answers to my endless list of questions. I'm not sure that I would be finished yet if VAF members had not have been there to give such great advice to get me thru the head scratching moments. Lastly thanks to the many vendors on this site that provided great products, great support, and great customer service. The home building world is truly full of great people!

RV-7A Tip Up - Done!!!
Airworthiness Certificate in hand!
Transition training done!
Flying my wings off!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM

A hardy congratulations!! Now on to the next phase of the RV life. Keep us posted.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Congratulations

Awesome. Congratulations on the fledgling.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:46 PM

Most excellent. Have fun with it. 😎
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360 200HP
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congratulations!!

Ben-----way to go.

Now about the mandatory "Grin" photo...........
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Right on! any pics or vid?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:33 PM

Congratulation! Gives the rest of us motivation to push on! Enjoy the freedom
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Right on! any pics or vid?
No pics or vid. I just wanted quiet and no pressure of thinking about anything else but protecting my investment and my rear end. :-) Likewise didn't want all you guys seeing me cry!

I just took it up again about an hour ago and I must say that I didn't have full realization of what a nice airplane RVs are! It flys beautifully and does exactly what you want it to! Still grinning! I was told by the transition trainer not to fly anything but the RV until the adrenaline rush wears off. I'm a long way from that!

RV-7A Tip Up - Done!!!
Airworthiness Certificate in hand!
Transition training done!
Flying my wings off!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Congratulations

I know what your feeling my RV7 took to the air for the first time 2 weeks ago and I am also working with David on transition training and can't say enough good things about him. Enjoy the new bird!!
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 AM

Default The BEST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
After two months worth of weather delays, etc. my RV-7A N705BC took flight today. I received transition training from Dave Austin out of Denton, Texas who did a phenomenal job showing me the ropes. I highly recommend Dave as he is a calm voice in the face of information overload and unusual attitudes. Seriously, he has been one of the most patient and effective instructors that I have had.

The plane flew beautifully, no squawks other than it will probably need a small trim tab on the rudder due to the fact that "yours truly" nailed the vertical stab straight down the fuselage centerline rather than offsetting the leading edge 1/4" left of center. I read the instructions after the fact. Really not too big of deal but with 200hp on takeoff, a lot of right rudder is needed.

I started the project in 2004 with a really slow build. Building was so much fun and flying is just icing on the cake! I learned a lot and plan on building a 777 for my next project now that I know so much! 😜

Much thanks to God who gave me much grace to do this (my nose art will say "by the grace of God"). Much thanks to my family and friends in which everyone pitched in with a helping hand at one time or another. Much love to my wife who loved me enough to let me spend many days and nights at the hangar. Many handshakes for those on VAF that provided tips, advice, and answers to my endless list of questions. I'm not sure that I would be finished yet if VAF members had not have been there to give such great advice to get me thru the head scratching moments. Lastly thanks to the many vendors on this site that provided great products, great support, and great customer service. The home building world is truly full of great people!
Way to go.

Dave did trained me, and he was hands down the best instructor I had in 30+ years of flying. He really took my skills up a level or 2.

Many happy landings,
Daddyman
N262 DF
Dues + paid 2017