VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM

Default Molex

After purchasing the wiring harness from Vans and installing it.. Very nicely made.. I have spent far too much time trying to find the 'other' ends for the molex plugs. Vans Web site doesn't seem to have these in in electrical section, Stein who I believe made the harness don't seem to list the plugs they used so I can order the other end which in my view should have come with the harness.
Are there any suggestions please.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 AM

Salto -

Here in the States there is a company named Mouser and another called Digi-Key that carries a very complete supply of Molex connector products.

Here is a good starting place to find the part numbers for connector style and associated pins you are looking for.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...annel=products

Once you know the Molex part numbers you are looking for, you can then purchase through Mouser or Digi-Key. I suggest you first find out the part numbers prior to going to Mouser or Digi-Key otherwise your eyes will glaze over looking through the listings of their stocked items.

http://www.mouser.com/

Also the link for Digi-Key.

http://www.digikey.com/

I usually order through Mouser because the parts typically ship immediately.

Hope this helps you.

Happy building,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 02-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Default Email SteinAir

Salto,

You might try emailing SteinAir and asking them if they make the harnesses you bought from Van's. I've found them to be very helpful in the past. I'm sure they can help you if you just ask.
Vietnam Vet (US Army)
2017 Contribution: 12/17/2016
Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

I think I'm missing something. The wiring harness ends in Molex connectors at the baggage wall bulkhead that match the Molex connectors already on the included tail cone wiring. The connectors at the wings match the Molex connectors that are already on the included wing harnesses. The control cable ends end in Molex connectors that match the control stick harnesses that Vans sells. The panel end of the harness ends in bare wires that connect to switches, Dsub pins etc that are entirely dependent on how you are doing the panel. You may still need some Molex connectors (canopy connection, extra wiring like OAT probe but only a couple. Sources above work - Fry's electronics had them on the shelf.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, Phase I compl Apr 3, 2017
RV-6A (purchased June 2014)
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2016
Old 02-24-2017, 12:21 PM

As I have posted in the past, the RV-14 wiring kit is, in my opinion, more aggregation than value. Just trying to do pin to pin on the prints is a headache. Another example is the bulkhead molex commenctors on the aft side of the baggage compartment. These not be there at all so don't use them. Just run the wire to the tailcone.

Get your own male and female Molex and D connectors and wire it like any other kit. Whatever you do first cut off the tiny plugs that connect to the roll and pitch trim servos. These plugs are amazingly fragile. I chased my tail for three days to figure out why the elevator trim would not calibrate with the EFIS. This tiny connector had an intermittent. It and the wing servos got real Molex connectors - problem solved.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
As I have posted in the past, the RV-14 wiring kit is, in my opinion, more aggregation than value. Just trying to do pin to pin on the prints is a headache. Another example is the bulkhead molex commenctors on the aft side of the baggage compartment. These not be there at all so don't use them. Just run the wire to the tailcone.

Get your own male and female Molex and D connectors and wire it like any other kit. Whatever you do first cut off the tiny plugs that connect to the roll and pitch trim servos. These plugs are amazingly fragile. I chased my tail for three days to figure out why the elevator trim would not calibrate with the EFIS. This tiny connector had an intermittent. It and the wing servos got real Molex connectors - problem solved.
I'm using this method for those connections in the tail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8DCvBV2V4M
Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess the two areas that I'm finding difficult to track down the 'mate' for the other end of the wiring harness are the position lights on the wing tip and the control column. I would like to utilise the receptacles for the plugs that are part of kit and because these are a specific size locating the right mate for the harness plugs is quite a challenge. Of course I could change the plugs out and ignore the receptacle. Part numbers for the various plugs on harness would be helpful.
Thanks Guys. 👍
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM

The control stick connectors are Molex Mini-Fit part numbers 43020-1200 (female) and 43025-1200 (male). The connectors do not include pins so you will need the corresponding mini-fit pins to go with them.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 02-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova RV View Post
The control stick connectors are Molex Mini-Fit part numbers 43020-1200 (female) and 43025-1200 (male). The connectors do not include pins so you will need the corresponding mini-fit pins to go with them.
These plugs will not work if you want to use an Infinity grip (not enough pins). A D connector is fine for this application.

Carl
Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Molex

Salto,

A friend of mine had these part numbers on his blog and he says it's what you are looking for:

http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2016/07/a...n-harness.html
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2016/08/w...harnesses.html

Hope that helps.
Serial #140087, N214SW
http://rvbuild214sw.com/
Dues paid to 2018.