Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 AM

My dad taught me a really useful trick when I worked for him in his furniture manufacturing business. When you are cutting material off something, make your line, then put a little X on the side of the part that will become scrap, or, in the case of woodworking, the side of the line where the saw kerf will go. Man, has that little tip saved me a LOT of goofs over the years.

Then again, there are the times when I have cut parts too small, more than once... Sometimes I am amazed by how dumb I can be. That having been said, my scrap pile is fairly small, but I always use my scrap pile as the source of aluminum for other, smaller parts. Waste not, want not!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Unhappy Mistakes

You mean somebody else back riveted without the ribs in place? That's hard to believe! Sure is deflating, especially after sitting all those rivets so perfectly...
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM

I try to listen to the voice in my head, which says "this is probably right."

If I hear that, I try to stop and come back later. A few minutes or overnight can make a world of difference.

What I really hate is when I'm starting to assemble something I built months before and ... "ahhh, it's backwards, @&#%="
paid 2017
Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 AM

I was feeling bad about ruining yet another part and then a guy at the airport said that when he finished his RV, he took his scrap to the scrap yard and got $136 for it.

My current scrap pile includes, among other things, two fuel tanks, an entire horizontal stabilizer and an elevator. Like I said, "among other things."

Dave
RV-3B now on the fuselage (and I really, truly, only want to build one of those.)

Last edited by David Paule : 02-24-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Well this is an encouraging thread. I've certainly made my share of dumb mistakes, glad I'm not alone.

My .02$ - I try to always read ahead in the plans so I understand the entire process for a given part. Common sense, I know. But it seems I get into the most trouble when I progress with a part too far and start bumping up to the limits of my understanding. I find I have to mentally stay at least several steps ahead.

I'm definitely not a perfectionist, but I'm adequate. Best advice I've gotten was to 'build on'.

Lars
Finish Kit in work
2017 dues gladly paid
Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 AM

Hey Roy, I am a new builder too, working on the tail kit. I feel your pain brother! I have messed up some aluminum parts from not paying attention to their orientation, maybe because I was tired at the time.

Here's some suggestions that may help.

1. Cleco'ing and assembling parts is non-destructive. Do this part and then double check everything is lining up, and matching up with the plans. Its fun and doesn't ruin parts.

2. Before doing any "destructive" work (like drilling, cutting, or riveting), I will cleco the parts together, and COMPLETELY look over the section and match it up with the plans, and even measure a few spots to make sure I have it assembled correctly. Even though the plans are not drawn at scale in many spots, the number of rivet holes their orientation and part layout are spot on. Tooling holes are also shown on the plans, so align them on your parts with the plans as well. They can make finding orientation really simple.

3. Read the plans and study the work before even going into your shop. Try to visualize what will need to be done and how it fits together and why.

You'll get better as you build, and with experience you end up making better and better "product" as your output. It sucks the first few pieces you build, but you do learn and get better as your skill increases.

Stay with it man! You'll be making high quality work in no time.
Wing Kit on its way!
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Winston Churchill has a famous quote that says something like:

"Success is defined as the ability to go from one failure to the next without losing your enthusiasm."

Keep plugging away. The mistakes will get less expensive.
VAF Dues Paid 2017
Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderon View Post
I try to listen to the voice in my head, which says "this is probably right."

If I hear that, I try to stop and come back later. A few minutes or overnight can make a world of difference.

What I really hate is when I'm starting to assemble something I built months before and ... "ahhh, it's backwards, @&#%="
A while back someone was talking about working tired, past the point where you should quit. I did that more than once, and on one occasion I managed to rivet the nutplates for the fuel tank access plate on the wrong side. I realized what I'd done and just went to bed...
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Always always always look at what is underneath before you drill a hole. Make sure it isn't a rib (unless it is supposed to be), a wire, a tube, a longeron (unless it is supposed to be), the engine, a skin (unless etc) or your finger or your helper's face.

Put a blanket on top of any skin over which you are handling a bucking bar.

When you f-up, don't panic. Work the problem. Stay calm.

When you do something that is so stupid you can't believe you did it, and you want to take a ball peen hammer to the entire project, that means it is time to go to bed.

Of course none of these things have ever happened to me. Nope.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Hang in there!

Mistakes just happen. I am pretty sure everyone makes some. Just work really slow and every time I "think" things are going so well. I drop everything and go home....next mistake is just around the corner

Most of us are doing every one of these tasks for the first time. We will get better with practice.

I make an effort to fully understand why we make the cuts we do before doing them. I did have to learn that the hard way as well!

Take a deep breath and just keep doing what you are doing. Once things come together its a real great feeling of accomplishment.