- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 AM

Default Mentor...YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyestof View Post
I was fortunate to have great mentors. If in doubt, stop and wait for visit from mentor. The internet became my close friend. (EAA hints for homebuilders for one.) Go visit a completed project. Ask for help. Your mistakes are not catastrophic- just assume being on first name basis with the parts reorder dept is normal. My UPS guy became a pal, he was here often! J
That was most excellent advice, especially the part about the mentor. I don't think I would have made it through my project without having a guy in the area who was building the same kit. We helped each other when the job required two people. Funny (but true) about being on the first name basis with the parts person and the UPS person!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 AM

Default "A.I."

Only "A.I" in the future makes no mistakes. Your doing what you are suppose to, "learning". Even at 5% of your mental capacity you have "A.I." beat for now. Keep up the good work, your doing fine. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 AM

I'm in the process of mounting my HS and VS on the fuselage. For at least the 3rd time in this build I drilled into my hand. So if you're a slow learner, like me then buy band aids and dont measure your progress by the size of your scrap pile.

rvblog.thebrices.com
Old 02-24-2017, 06:45 AM

To be fair, the instructions on the R-710 are horrible. I would have made the same exact mistake if I hadn't by chance stumbled on a build thread here on VAF regarding the 710 edge distance issues.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 AM

Let me make you feel better

Let's see:

- VS spar, elevator spars (probably could have been used), and two fuse bulkhead channels - all victims of oblong countersinking holes. Really, really must backup the workpiece you're countersinking

- 3, yes 3, trim tabs (could have been used, but my OCD wanted perfect bends)

- aileron skins that I happily dimpled away on the wrong side

- baggage door frame that began to crack at several dimples while riveting

- flap control horn that I drilled with a slight mis-alignment

I'm mostly done with the airframe and onto fiberglass, which, while stinky and messy, is much more forgiving of errors. The good news is that you eventually stop beating yourself up and just shake your head realizing that this is part of the process.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 AM

You often hear the advice of "do something every day." I think it's more important to take a break. I just re-entered the garage with renewed vigor after a 2-month hiatus. I haven't destroyed any parts since returning, but I'm still finding mistakes in the pieces I'd already made.

Slow down.
2017 Dues paid. Wrote a check. On paper. Because I'm old school that way. Sorry, Doug!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner69 View Post
Roy:

The -7A fuel tank is connected to the spar via "Z" brackets. After much careful fitting and checking and fitting and checking, I put them on up-side-down and drilled.
Hehe, I did that as well on my first wing... and I broke two canopies trying to fit them to the frame... and I got to build my HS twice. Things happen. But what really cheesed me off was when I was converting my left outboard wing section to a fuel tank, I had all the ribs fitted and riveted, and then I went braindead and cut the fuel cap hole in the wrong end.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 02-24-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
could have been used, but my OCD wanted perfect bends
This is something I have been struggling with. I haven't even finished the rudder or VS on my 10 yet but I've already replaced 5 or 6 parts because of little mistakes. If I'm completely honest with myself, those parts were completely fine to use. The only thing wrong with them is that they weren't perfect. Another builder who stopped by and saw the parts I had replaced even joked about building a second airplane with all of my "mistakes".

I've agonized so much about the little things that aren't perfect that it's actually a lot less stressful for me when I make a real mistake. I hate to have to spend the money on the replacements but it's nice knowing immediately that I need to call Van's and figure out how to fix what I just did rather than obsessing about whether it is good enough or not for days.

So while I can't answer the original question, maybe it will help knowing that it could be worse.
https://timsrv10blog.wordpress.com/
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 AM

This is the card I got from my son last Father's Day - change "hardware store" to "Vans" and it describes me even better:

Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM

And if there's a left and right to apart that needs to be re-made and Im not paying attention, this stuff about there being a 50-50 chance of making the correct part is nonsense! It's always wrong. If I am paying attention it's 50-50.