Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 PM

Default Is there a specific point in this kit where I will stop making catastrophic mistakes?

Right now I am averaging a major mistake every three days. While working on the empennage I have so far ruined a HS skin, mis-cut the rudder ribs because I thought the holes were all evenly spaced, and now I just trimmed too much of the edges off the R-710 Horn Brace so the upper holes to be drilled will be too close to the edge. Each of these mistakes have resulted in a order from Vans. One at almost $200. Sometimes I want to just chuck the whole thing in the can.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM

Well, you have yet to back rivet without putting the rib on the skin, drill your finger, or realize a skin goes over the substructure you already riveted.... It gets better. Best advice is to read ahead in the plans and think about what you will do before you actually do it; practice in your head.

As for overtrimming a piece... masking tape in the final dimension is an excellent way to go. If you are on tape stop and think.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy25101 View Post
Right now I am averaging a major mistake every three days. While working on the empennage I have so far ruined a HS skin, mis-cut the rudder ribs because I thought the holes were all evenly spaced, and now I just trimmed too much of the edges off the R-710 Horn Brace so the upper holes to be drilled will be too close to the edge. Each of these mistakes have resulted in a order from Vans. One at almost $200. Sometimes I want to just chuck the whole thing in the can.
I'm going to say you're there. You've recognized the potential for error and will, no doubt, use that know ledge and experience to avoid future major mistakes.
That said, we all make them throughout the build. Don't let it get you down.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 PM

Roy. Best thing I can say is just slow it down. You're running a marathon. Don't do anything until it is well calculated and thought out. With time, this will become your mindset and you will make fewer mistakes.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:30 PM

I refer to those mistakes as 'speeding fines'. Read the plans, reread the plans, read the plans again. Then do a creative visualisation for want of a better term. Then have a little rest. Repeat this procedure, then tackle the next task. It will get easier with time. At least you don't have to pay to ship your replacement parts to Australia. That really makes you sit up and take notice. Good luck, and remember to try and have fun. That's what it's about.
Cheers,
DaveH
Old 02-23-2017, 09:46 PM

I may be the only one that ended up building 2 rudders, but the first one gave me a bit of practice for the second one. You should see my toolbox. You can't because I don't show anyone!

Good luck and if it is getting you down, it is the about same price to build as it is to buy.
O-320 D2A
Panel andWiring done
Final assembly and paint!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Roy:

The -7A fuel tank is connected to the spar via "Z" brackets. After much careful fitting and checking and fitting and checking, I put them on up-side-down and drilled.

Of course, the tank would not fit properly. After dithering, I finally pulled a "Chicken Little", e-mailed Van's help desk, and told them that the sky was falling in. This was on a Friday afternoon.

Sometime the following Monday, I received a message that started: "First off, let's not fall on our sword. You haven't really screwed up until you built 2 right wings..."

Which put is all in perspective, a solution was offered, and away I went again.

Concur with previous posters: keep going, study the plans, take your time.

Best of luck

John

PS Took me 9 years, but the machine has close to 200 hours now...
Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 PM

Default You're OK

Great advice above. I was fortunate to have great mentors. If in doubt, stop and wait for visit from mentor. The internet became my close friend. (EAA hints for homebuilders for one.) Go visit a completed project. Ask for help. Your mistakes are not catastrophic- just assume being on first name basis with the parts reorder dept is normal. My UPS guy became a pal, he was here often! J
Flew her to Alaska and Caribbean Islands
Double VAF combat exclusion-made double contributions 2012, ........, 2017
Old 02-24-2017, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. Y'all are a good bunch. And no, I can't imagine having to ship parts to Australia... Wow!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

If it's any encouragement I ruined the biggest peice of aluminum in everyone of the subkits when I was building my RV-4 back in 1981. I could hardly afford to replace them, and it was very embarrassing to come inside and admit I had screwed up again.
As late as yesterday I had laid out markings on a piece of aluminum for a doubler plate. Remember the old adage about measuring twice and cutting once? Well, I did measure twice (I have learned to do that) and I marked it twice to further refine some measurements. Then I proceeded to cut it on the original measurements! Aargh!!! I should have erased the first set of lines.

The bottom line is that mistakes will continue to happen. Hopefully, they will get smaller in nature over time.

The only way to not make a mistake is to sit on the couch and do nothing. But some of us will consider that a mistake.

Hang in there. The rewards are indescribable.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)