- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boandrv7a View Post
Viking looks like one of the coolest options around. [...]
I think so too. Particularly the Viking 130 seems to be a great performer. The owner of Viking actually won the Zenith STOL competition with it last year – in the CH 750 Cruzer!
So far I haven’t found anything negative about the 130 and the company support, even the previous 110 apparently had only relatively small initial issues. Some people are also accumulating hours rather quickly, the company demonstrator has already over 500 hours on it.

We’ll have to decide on an engine by the end of this year and want something in the 130 hp range. The ULPower would be an option, I however prefer a geared engine, what narrows the selection down to the Viking 130 and the upcoming Rotax 915iS. Rumor however has it that the Rotax will be over $30K, maybe even close to $40k + FWF kit. Holy smokes! The Viking 130, on the other hand, only around $19K, including a very complete FWF kit. I am fully aware that I would be a beta tester for Viking, simply because they haven’t run it for thousands of hours on the test bench yet. Unless we begin to see catastrophic failures of the Viking engine or people complaining about a lack of factory support, the savings are for me big enough to make the installation and the possibly required tinkering, worthwhile.

I really, really wish them success, as I believe that the market needs an geared alternative to the Rotax engines.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I think so too. Particularly the Viking 130 seems to be a great performer. The owner of Viking actually won the Zenith STOL competition with it last year – in the CH 750 Cruzer!
So far I haven’t found anything negative about the 130 and the company support, even the previous 110 apparently had only relatively small initial issues. Some people are also accumulating hours rather quickly, the company demonstrator has already over 500 hours on it.

We’ll have to decide on an engine by the end of this year and want something in the 130 hp range. The ULPower would be an option, I however prefer a geared engine, what narrows the selection down to the Viking 130 and the upcoming Rotax 915iS. Rumor however has it that the Rotax will be over $30K, maybe even close to $40k + FWF kit. Holy smokes! The Viking 130, on the other hand, only around $19K, including a very complete FWF kit. I am fully aware that I would be a beta tester for Viking, simply because they haven’t run it for thousands of hours on the test bench yet. Unless we begin to see catastrophic failures of the Viking engine or people complaining about a lack of factory support, the savings are for me big enough to make the installation and the possibly required tinkering, worthwhile.

I really, really wish them success, as I believe that the market needs an geared alternative to the Rotax engines.
Will these new engines eat up more of the LSA useful weight? If amphib LSAs get a boost why not just let us have that weight too!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Will these new engines eat up more of the LSA useful weight? If amphib LSAs get a boost why not just let us have that weight too!
I am afraid so. Viking say that in a Zenith, the installed weight is a little bit lower than an O-200, but quite a bit heavier than a 912.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I am however still hesitant because of the short track record and the flak Viking is getting on some internet forums (like this one) for its owner’s past.
Sorry to but-in but figured I'd make a quick point here. A quick google showed a very troubling history...

http://www.meyette.us/engine.htm
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages
Old 03-14-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
Sorry to but-in but figured I'd make a quick point here. A quick google showed a very troubling history...

http://www.meyette.us/engine.htm
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages
These are exactly the stories I was talking about and which are still concerning me.

It appears however as whether he learned from it: Even though I am keeping a very close eye on what is going on with Viking, I haven't found anything negative about them. Some intitial teething problems, the Viking 110 engines were not as powerful as expected, but that's about it. A local builder, here in Michigan spoke highly about the company support and that the owner would go the extra mile to make his customers happy.
When I inquired for a price, Samantha, the lady in the office, responded super fast and also followed up with me a few day later. She also said, that they have complete engine packages in stock.

A few weeks ago, my position was 'any engine but a Viking', I however have to admit that I am about to change my mind. Particularly, since there are not too many options available.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:11 PM

My curiosity got the best of me so I went to Viking’s site for RV-12 installation and looked at two videos. What strikes me is lack of FireSleeve and the use of clear plastic tubing with push-on fittings for overflow lubricant tanks. Not exactly AN quality…

Screen shots from #2 RV-12 Viking Install Video
-

-
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 288
Old 03-14-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
My curiosity got the best of me so I went to Viking’s site for RV-12 installation and looked at two videos. What strikes me is lack of FireSleeve and the use of clear plastic tubing with push-on fittings for overflow lubricant tanks. Not exactly AN quality…

Screen shots from #2 RV-12 Viking Install Video
-

-
Viking engines don't catch fire😱😱
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Viking engines don't catch fire😱😱
Neither do Rotax or Lycoming engines. It's that pesky fuel and oil you have to worry about.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Interesting. While I am aware that the use of FireSleeves is good practice, I believe that our Cessna also had only rubber grommets. Actually, it appears as whether Van's also uses them in their instructions: https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/rev...Section_46.pdf
This 912 installation seems to be in accordance with Van's instructions, actually using a rubber grommet: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1ccR8HwnaU...0/DSC_0002.JPG

I have to admit that I thought the Viking RV-12 installation looks really clean and am trying to distinguish between serious concerns regarding the engine package and what is only room for improvement.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 AM

i asked viking about the firesleeve and the answer was that you are going to be shutting your fuel off as soon as a fire is detected and the fuel source will be burnt up in a second.
to each his own. you build your installation as you wish. i firesleeved.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13