- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Default RV-8 smoke pump location

For those of you that have a smoke tank in your front baggage deep well - where did you mount your smoke oil pump? I have Marvin Homsley's Smoke System and am planning on making it quick release to remove the tank when travelling. I have seen other installations, but not RV-8's. Ideally, I would mount the pump to the tank and when I take it out, it all comes out together - but not having a flying airplane - I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2017

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 02-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Timely thread Jim. I just purchased mine and am waiting delivery. Did you buy the kit to tank mount the pump?

I'd also appreciate pictures from those RV-8 drivers with Marvin's Smoke Helper system mounted in front.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Found this thread from Dave aka: schmitty340

Looks really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty340 View Post
I just finished my smoke system installation and would like to give a big thank you to Marvin over at Smoke Helpers!

I used his deep well tank made for the baggage compartment of the RV8. I ask him to weld the pump mounts right to the top of the tank, and the fit was perfect. The shut off solenoid and regulating valve were mounted to a plate I made mounted under the pump. This resulted in a removable package, if I ever need the space. With this setup, I still have full use of my fwd baggage compartment.

The firewall fwd was easy with the harware he supplied. Cut and fit some hoses, drill two holes in exhaust.(making sure one on each side) then secure the injectors with clamps. Finally secure the lines. Done!

Old 02-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Default Looks great!

Thanks Charlie - yes, I did purchase the pump-to-tank mount and plan to use it. I like Dave's installation and will borrow heavily from it! Looks like Dave installed it over the fitting for the vent - but probably it is just hidden under there and is vented since it appears the mount is sitting above the fill cap and that would leave about 1 3/4" of space for the vent to come up/out. That's exactly what I was looking for - Thanks !
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 02-18-2017, 02:04 PM

Jim,

Did you buy the solenoid pictured in Dave's post? I didn't but maybe I should. Any info regarding the benefits of the solenoid is appreciated.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Default No...but might

The solenoid is a switchable valve that is wired into the same switch as the smoke oil pump. It cuts off the supply of the oil so that it doesn't dribble out - the benefit is that you get a good smoke / no smoke transition instead of - lots of smoke...a little smoke, a little less smoke... no smoke. Some planes need it and some don't. Marvin also has the one-way valves that does an even better job of stopping the dribbles in the smoke to no smoke transition.
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331

Old 02-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Thank you!

I'm going to do my install without the solenoid and see if it needs it.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:28 PM

In the smoke oil tank. Used submersible fuel pump.

Houston
Old 02-18-2017, 06:17 PM

After having a few hundred hours on the system, I would say the solenoid has little affect on the system and I don't think it is needed in this application. The mounting holes on the solenoid made for an easy way to secure the line to my pump plate though. I do get burps of smoke after use sometimes and believe it is do to the low spot in the line running to the #1 cyclynder. The one way valves at the injector would solve this. I have a friend using this same set up with the check vavles and it works flawlessly. Only other issue Ive had was the injectors starting to clogg over time and needed to be cleaned out. I also thought I'd be pulling the tank out for x countrys, but found I dont miss the the space as much as I miss the smoke.

Have fun with it, Marvin makes a great system.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 PM

In regaurds to the vent. I am using the vented cap, so the vent under the pump is plugged. I do a lot of aerobatics and do get some drips out of the cap from time to time, but only if doing multipal neg g manuvers. usuallly not an issue. there is enough room under the pump to run a dedicated vent line.